Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Greeting Protocol

Walmart has announced that it will use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in its advertising this year. Though I can't verify it, I heard a caller on a radio talk show say that the leader of some group had decried this position as violating constitutional separation of church and state doctrine (this makes some sense as I recently read that Walmart is the fifth largest exporter of Chinese goods, with those above it on the list being countries).

Sovereignty aside, the following is my proposed protocol (who would have thought one was needed till recently) for year end greetings:

"Merry Christmas" to those I know to be Christian.

"Happy Hanukkah" to those I know to be Jewish.

"Happy Kwanza," actually, I've never said this though I probably would if I knew someone who would appreciate it or would be offended by another greeting.

"Happy Holidays" to everyone else.

On second thought, I'll probably avoid using any of these phrases and go with my usual "hey" or "what's up" upon seeing someone and "see ya," "take care" or "later" when departing.

And to all of you, Happy Thanksgiving and an early Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Jack W. Regan said...

I think everyone should just lighten up!

tomshideaway said...

holidays, why do we wait till then to wish someone happiness...Happy Turkey day to you, thank ___ that it's about food, friends and family and not about presents....or religion.

Angie said...

Separation of church and state?? Oh my gosh...give me a break! Though I don't work at wal-mart, I will continue to say Merry Christmas to everyone I know and I will continue to NOT be offended if someone says Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa to me. Who cares?? I know they are wishing me well and not wishing me to rot in hell.