Saturday, December 30, 2006

Technology Overload

Yesterday I found out I was getting a DVD with multiple thousands of documents scanned on it. When I bought my current office computer about four years ago, I skimped on two things. The RAM (do they still call it that?) is 256k. That has worked out OK since all I do on the computer is create and edit documents, get and send Emails and surf and research on line. Until yesterday, not getting the, then fairly new, option of a DVD player/burner wasn't a problem.

When I was buying the player/burner, I realized I was out of USB ports on the tower; so, I had to buy a hub.

Surrounding me on the desk, floor and credenza are the DVD device, its various wires,cables, the USB hub with its spagetti and styrofoam, plastic and cardboard detrious from both electronic pieces. I forgot the twist ties.

Various parts of both devices are plugged into each other, the walls and other devices. Having not thought through the process, I am at an impass. I am out of electricity. I have four outlets in the office. One is useless because I covered it with book shelves. Another is useless because it is on an exterior wall and not near anything electrical. Two are now full up, one of which has a powerstrip plugged into it. Until I go get another powerstip, technology is on hold. Rather than do a paragraph or two on the charms of dial telephones and mimeograph machines, I'm off to Target.

2 comments:

Life Hiker said...

256MB? Even grandma has more than that! Treat yourself to 512 more...they're on sale and you will really see the difference in your boot time and your surfing speed. Your CPU is constipated for lack of memory.

I stopped counting at more than 10 USB devices on my computer...hub plugged into hub, and I'm out of ports again. This weekend everything gets unplugged and the twist ties come out.

Technology is complicated, but it's worth it. I got, first thing Christmas morning, an 8MB MP3 file of my 2 1/2 year old grandson singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", "Jingle Bells", and another song with his guitar-playing dad. Priceless!

Dave said...

You're right. I need to (read want to) get a new computer for home. In looking, it seems I'll move up to 1 gig and dual core.