Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My next laptop will be a Mac

I’m watching the Braves on TV, thinking about something to eat and was surfing. My Dell laptop just told me that the power cord that I bought from Dell with the laptop was not compatible and that it would not properly charge the battery, I should get a Dell some number or other cord.

(Swearing deleted.)

The battery on the laptop lasted about a year and now gives me about 15 minutes unless it’s plugged into a power outlet. Now it’s telling me that it doesn’t like the cord it comes with.

I don’t have a good finish to this other than that Dell was a good company about ten years ago.

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Dave... the power cord also doubles as a 'tethering' strap of sorts. It saves the Dell laptop as it's leaving the nearest open (or closed) window. It's not just for "charging" the computer.

Dave said...

Dell was a marginal company about five years ago.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

In 1997, I swore by Dell.

In 2006, I swore AT Dell.

I now own HPs, not because they're good, but because they're cheap enough to be, in essense, disposable. And you get a lot of features for your dollar.

That said, my father is taking his failing HP desktop PC to the shop to have major components replaced (under warranty) and everyone in my office who has/had an HP laptop has had to send it in to get a replacement system board. So if you get an HP, do yourself a favor and spring for the extended warranty. Based on my sample, odds are heavily in favor of needing that warranty.

My next laptop will probably be a MacBook Pro. And that will probably be before the end of the year.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Man, I'm verbose sometimes...

Anonymous said...

I kind of go with "disposable" computers these days, too. For the cost of fixing an expensive computer, you can just throw it away and get a cheap one.

Unknown said...

I heard Micro Center has the small MacBook Pro with a $150 rebate. Given the tax free weekend, may this is the time to get one.

Also the same thing happened to my Dell at work.

Dave said...

I thought about the tax free weekend Bill - I can't bring myself to buy when I don't need to.