Tuesday, November 03, 2009

So what is the requisite number of idle workers at a road construction site?

I left for work this morning to find a water main break on North Druid Hills - water flowing everywhere - it took a while to get to I-85.

I just got home, having creeped at an average speed of maybe a mile an hour from I-85 to my turn off of Druid. Our county's finest are still at the repair. I'd forgotten about the problem and couldn't figure out why traffic was so bad until I saw all the trucks and orange cones as I approached the work site, taking the road from four to three to two lanes.

Many trucks, not so many workers. But there was the classic view of four guys leaning on shovels watching a guy with a jack hammer break up pavement. So what is the right number? I'm thinking three is the minimum, four adequate. When does it get to be featherbedding?

6 comments:

fermicat said...

They could probably use a few more guys leaning on shovels, but times are tough.

dr sardonicus said...

At my place of employment, the most I've seen is nine.

Dave said...

Doc, you're on the night shift! How many slackers are on days?

dr sardonicus said...

This was on the day shift, not long after I first started with the water department. Back then, trainees worked wherever they needed an extra man for the day; that way you got to learn a variety of jobs. I was assigned to a periodic maintenance crew that day, and we were assisting another crew working on a burnt-up pump at a sewer station, about 30 feet underground. Confined space regulations restricted the number of men who could go below ground at one time. Mechanics aren't allowed to touch electronic equipment, electricians aren't allowed to turn valves, etc. You get the picture.

Dave said...

Doc, said with humor: Damn Unions!

dr sardonicus said...

I'll let that pass, because, sad but true, that gets to the heart of the issue. Whenever you see a bunch of men standing around a manhole looking like they're doing nothing, union rules usually have something to do with it.