Monday, April 04, 2011

Perpetuity?


I mentioned here recently that I don’t know anything about antitrust law.  I also know little about patent, copyright and trademark law.

Saturday I went to the Atlanta Botanical Garden.  Lots and lots of tulips, roses aren’t quite here yet.

I’d thrown my ticket on the passenger seat and was about to throw it in the trash this morning; but, for some reason I looked at the back.  In addition to an add for a department store, I read this:  “NO REFUNDS – NO EXCHANGES – NO RAINCHECKS  Visitor agrees not to use commercially any photography taken at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.  Visitor grants permission to the Atlanta Botanical Garden to utilize the visitor’s image, likeness, and/or sound recordings for the purpose whatsoever in perpetuity.”

Beyond a couple of grammatical problems, are they talking about their recordings of me or my recordings of their flowers?  Both?  Whichever, they get them in perpetuity?

I think even I could beat this back of the ticket “contract.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before you buy your next ticket, write on the back of the dollar bill that by accepting this money they agree that you will not be beholden to any contract written on the back of the ticket stub.

Dave said...

You should be a lawyer Thomas, the issue at least with respect to sales of goods (stuff) maybe not a license to visit property, is covered by Article 2, section 107 (I think) of the Uniform Commercial Code.

Dave said...

Oh, and it was a twenty with a $1.05 change back.