Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Help Wanted

I read the ingredients listed on food packages. Not because I am concerned about health or have an allergy to peanuts. Because they are there and, at that particular moment, I have nothing else to read.

Rarely, I'll not read at night for an hour or so before bed. But usually, I have three or four books in line for reading.

Lately, I've been on a jag. Reading to exclusion of doing things that I should be doing. To the exclusion of doing anything else. I realized that I only have one book waiting in line.

I went to my local used book store late last week. I walked out without getting anything. I went on Amazon yesterday. I couldn't find anything that I had not read and actually wanted to read. This just doesn't happen.

So, your help is wanted. Give me titles. Give me authors. Skip the overly-serious. I do serious for a living. I've read the masters both classic and modern. Think Richard Russo. John Irving. Enlighten me. Entertain me. If you have a book that made you stop and re-read sentences or paragraphs to savor them, I want to know.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
by Suzanna Clarke

Chasing Shakespeare
by Sarah Smith

The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

Dave said...

Thanks k.

Dave.

Life Hiker said...

"Thirteen Moons", by Charles Frazier (author of Cold Mountain). He can put words together!

"What Jesus Meant", by Garry Wills. Will make you rethink religion. Wills is super-bright and the book is short and to the point.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. One of my all time greats.

E.L. Doctorow. "Billy Bathgate" for easy reading, "City of God" to make you really think.

That should get you started...SF is my favorite, though, and I didn't know where to begin.

Anonymous said...

"Small Town Odds" by Jason Headley. Been compared to Russo.

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend Jesus, the son of man by Khalil Giban. It's little sketches of Jesus as viewed from other people. I'm not Christian myself, but I enjoyed the poetry of the work. You don't have to buy this one, you can download it free from http://leb.net/gibran/

Another good one is How to read literature like a professor by Thomas C. Foster. I know that sounds very dry and technical, but it's actually a very enjoyable and easy to read book.

My favorite book of all time is Pigs have wings by P.G. Wodehouse.

Dave said...

Thanks guys. I've read Prayer for Owen Meany. Loved it. I've got to read Cold Mountain before Thirteen Moons. I've been meaning to since I read a review on the the latter. I've read some Wodehouse but not Pigs have wings.

Bill & Ron said...

Here are a few:
Bird by Bird by Anne LaMott. It's hard to read her and not laugh aloud.
Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. Wolfe's observations are so insightful and this character is bigger than life.
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. Not just hilarious but probably the best book on organizational dynamics that I've ever read.

Dave said...

I've read Man in Full and Catch-22. It's been years since reading the latter, maybe it's time to re-read it. I'll check out Bird by Bird. Thanks.

fermicat said...

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. Engrossing and well-researched. Fascinating.

Ilium by Dan Simmons. Or Hyperion - same author. Interesting novels, lots to chew on.

Kiln People by David Brin. A detective story with a twist, and it is a riot! A fast-paced and fun read.

I'm sure you've read it, but if you haven't: Watership Down by Richard Adams. One of the greatest books ever. Excellent storytelling.

And I will second the recommendation for Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife. Very original and moving.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Thanks fermicat. I have read Watership Down, years ago. I'll look at the others.