Monday, April 28, 2008

Clinton's Green Mile

Clinton's newest attack on Obama is that he "can't close the deal" as evidenced by his loss in Pennsylvania.

That probably depends on what you're counting. Obama has won the popular vote in 26 of 43 primaries. He's ahead by 500K or 600K in the overall popular vote, depending on how you count it. He has 1489 delegates to Clinton's 1,333. Using popular vote, he's won 26 states to Clinton's 17 (including FL and MI). Using delegate count rather than popular vote to determine a primary winner he has 29 primary wins to Clinton's 13 (2 ties). From Clinton's "big" win in Pennsylvania she picked up 10 net delegates (83 to 73). Using delegate wins in big (CA, Il, NY, OH, PA and TX) versus small states as a predictor of electoral votes he won 2 of the 6 big states to date and 28 of the 37 small states to date.

I can't find any statistics for it; but, Obama, by all reports, does much better with independent voters than Clinton does.

If the Democrats used the same delegate system as the Republicans do, like McCain, Obama would already have the nomination locked up.

Clinton is a "dead [wo]man walking" for the next month or so. The deal is closed, the paperwork just hasn't been signed yet.

(Statistics are from RealClearPolitics.com.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't find one person around me, that will admit that they'll vote for Clinton. I just don't understand how it's still a race. I'm guessing it's close to the same for you. I think it would be interesting if all of us went and asked 20 people who they'd vote for. My guess is we'd get very few hillary votes. I think people are embarrassed to admit that they like her. But then again, I would be to.

Sudiegirl said...

She needs to stop. Hillary just needs to stop.

The Exception said...

I am enjoying the process actually. It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver and how the party determines the nomination. I have heard that he takes the independent vote, but I also think that the people throughout the country have the right to decide who the candidate will be. I am all for a national primary!

Hedy said...

Another factor that no one is talking about: a pre-Denver 'surprise'. Something scandalous comes out on either candidate that will push the nomination forward finally. I'm guessing the mess will be on Hillary, since Obama seems to have dragged most of his skeletons from the closet (the Wright thing really needs to die), but who knows? And what if the scandal isn't so much about Hillary, but about Bill? What then? Fascinating stuff, here. Just hope it doesn't tear the Democratic party apart.

fermicat said...

I cannot fathom why this isn't over - the delegate math sure seems insurmountable for Clinton. Why isn't the media asking why Clinton can't close the deal? It seems to me that she is a master of manipulating the media and what stories are getting out there. And they seem to eat it up. Maybe because if this thing was perceived to be over (as it almost certainly is in reality) they wouldn't get as many viewers or readers, so they just stir the pot and keep it going. It is really getting on my nerves, though.

cathouse teri said...

You know what's weird? Every time I see something like the title of your post, and the ensuing paragraphs where HC is referred to as just "Clinton," I still instantly think BILL.

I'm such a dork.

I guess to me Clinton is Bill and Hillary is either referred to as ... well... Hillary ~ or Hillary Clinton ~ or even Senator Clinton.

Dave said...

Hey Teri, thanks for stopping by, as best I can figure, from Exception.

As to surnames and first names, with Senator Clinton, I'm being an equal opportunity blogger, of sorts, purposefully. If I start with Senator, I stay with it for her, Barack and John. If I start with McCain, I follow with Clinton and Obama. Hillary is followed by Barack and John.

It's a result of first writing about them and refering to Hilary and thinking that I'm being demeaning, right or wrong.