Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Resolution, Fatigue and Contentment

I spent, for me, a long day of thinking, talking and negotiating on my figurative feet today.

I had a mediation, which is a voluntary process to settle a lawsuit. I told my clients that there would be a lot of very boring sitting around, interspersed with some intense back and forth. They dealt with it better than I did. I get bored, I got bored, and impatient; but, you can’t let that interfere with the slow boring process of resolving the dispute.

You’d think that sitting around in a luxurious conference room in the Lenox area of Atlanta looking south from the twentieth floor south to Midtown and Downtown wouldn’t be tiring, and you’d be wrong.

I won’t go into details, one of my clients reads this blog. Doesn’t matter whether we settled or not; but, I always forget how thinking, constantly, is tiring.

So, I’ve been home for a couple of hours and I’m mellowing. I watched some TV, I surfed some blogs and listened to some Sirius blues. I just by accident hit a button on the remote that switched me to “Siriusly Sinatra” on Sirius Satellite radio. He’s just the thing. I’m transported to my childhood when my father wouldn’t let us listen to rock and roll. Frank, Dino, Dixieland Jazz, a time when there were no problems in the world other than the anxieties of being a child.

Contentment.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Dave,
interesting,
read my blog for the past few days it sort of corresponds w/ your"
Chance" happening on a song that transported you back to a different time...huuum, divine intervention? You never know.
w

fermicat said...

Sometimes a happy accident is just the thing... glad it led you to some contentment.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

With regard to how exhausting thinking is -- I sometimes am called on to lead all day sessions -- meetings, training session, what have you. At the end of them, I feel like I have run a marathon because I am "on" the whole time. Whereas sitting in my office I get mini breaks constantly.

fermicat said...

Today was one of those days that was exhausting because of the lack of downtime at work. That, and working until 7pm. Makes my brain hurt, all that thinking and keeping track and communicating and listening.