Saturday, January 24, 2009

Be Honest Now

Do you, or have you ever, used a tip calculator?

My Google phone has a bunch of downloadable applications, ranging from great to funny to dumb.

Weather.com, a level that really works, a picture of a desk bell that you can tap and it makes a bell sound.

It also has about ten “tip calculators.”

10% of $27.00 is $2.70. Other quick percentages are $5.40 and $4.05. If you want 18%, figure 20% of the pre-tax bill depending on what your sales tax is, it will be close.

Who uses a tip calculator and who are all of these people that take the time to program one and upload it to Android?

6 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

Tip calculator? I use my head. Whatever happened to moving the decimal point one place to the left?

Anonymous said...

Years ago I did some bodyguard work for a guy who had a wallet card tip chart.He'd pull it out at the table. Fifteen percent exactly every time. Then after dinner he'd go to the nearest strip joint and blow thru several hundred buck. No tip chart needed there though. Personally I tip at toll booths,so it's a moot point to me.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I divide the check total by ten, multiply by two and then round up.

Unless the service was bad, in which case I round down.

Or if the sevice was abysmal, I might go to the touble of getting closer to 15%, but again, I do it in my head, and round.

Keith said...

My wife has one and uses it. I just do it in my head.

Unknown said...

$ 1.00 should suffice at all times :-)

fermicat said...

PDM and I are physics majors, which means that we are pretty serious math geeks. We don't need no stinking tip calculators. Besides, it is easy to figure 20% and round up or down from there, even if you are not a math geek.

We are generous at the places where we are regulars. Again, no need for a calculator of any kind for that. And if the service is bad, and it is the fault of the server, we take that into account as well.

Oh, and we always overtip breakfast servers, especially at cheap places like Waffle House.