Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why doesn't anyone just do news in the morning?

Radio or TV – there really is no place to go to get just news without fluff in the morning before you leave home or while you are driving to work. Yes, I could go online and read were I not doing all the other things that get the day going.

When I travel, I used to flip to Headline News on the hotel TV, which over the years has devolved. When I watched it years ago, it was indeed what its name said it was, in a half hour you got what was going on nationally and internationally while you were doing other things. Recently, it got a new name HLN, I suppose to indicate that it really isn’t what the letters would otherwise indicate. Now it's a national version of the local happy news and an equivalent to Fox and Friends and whatever CNN calls its morning show.

Even WSB Radio (750 AM) here in Atlanta, the only marginally actual news station in town and Morning Edition on the local PBS radio outlet are going slowly to interspersing fluff with hard news in the morning.

Mind you, I read and watch fluff - as you know, I write a bunch of fluff; but, I’d really like an aural source for straight news to listen to in the morning.

3 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

One of the local radio stations here carries the BBC news in the morning. I'd recommend that if it's carried in your area.

Anonymous said...

That's a long-standing complaint of mine, too. I don't want to watch airheads giggle and flirt in the morning, I just want to know what the news is. In the evening I don't want to listen to Outraged commentators rail against the world, I just want to know what the news is.

We really don't have a whole lot of choice, in spite of the wide number of channels available to us. Every news channel has somehow ended up the same.

Dave said...

Doc, I went to the website this morning, not all of the news I want.

Thomas, I left out the evening because I've figured out I'm not the demographic they are looking for. Morning I'd always thought might be a bit different.

Worse at night, PBS Newshour is changing to be a bit more user friendly, read as I read it, more like the rest of the stuff I don't want to see.