Sunday, January 17, 2010

How does Kroger calculate?

I just got home from Kroger as I didn't want anything I have at home to eat.

Smoked sausage, sauerkraut and frozen macaroni and cheese. The Kroger card gave me 15% off the marked prices. Nothing off the macaroni, ten cents off the sauerkraut and a buck something off of the sausage that was only $2.50 to start with. Sometimes I get a percent or two, sometimes seven or eight percent. Now and again, I hit the jackpot like tonight.

The discount doesn't seem to have any logic (other than when an item is marked on the shelf with two prices, the lower one given with the Plus card). Overall, Kroger is cheaper than Publix with the irrational discounts so I keep going. (I could also shop at Whole Foods, IGA and Winn Dixie - WF would be crazy expensive, IGA has no selection and Winn Dixie is too far away).

I just wish I could figure it out. Maybe they have a random number generator that gives an average "x"% off over time.

3 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I could be wrong, in fact I frequently am, but I believe it has more to do with moving inventory and having loss leaders that get money into the store than it does any single across the board percentage calculation....

Anonymous said...

I miss the Olden Days, when I could grocery shop without carrying a bunch of stupid tracking cards with me.

j said...

The discount is irrelent. They just want your spending habits so that when the government decides you have eaten too much of something they can fine you for potentially placing a burden on the health care system. Look out for the black helicopters.