Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Whither Google

Google has announced that it, kinda, maybe, won't censor its results in China. It hopes to work a deal with the PRC to operate legally there and not censor.

It seems to be trying to stake out a negotiating position. To do that you have to have something the other side wants. I don't think Google has that in China. China can live quite nicely, in its view, without Google.

If Google wants to "do no evil" it should withdraw from China and promote what I understand are a number of ways for Chinese internet users to get around Chinese firewalls to reach the real Google. Ads are ads whether you get to them on Google.cn or Goggle.com.

An aside, did you know that if you go to Google.cn, you actually go there? I didn't. Same spare page, with Chinese characters. Oh, and in the lower right of the page there's a link for Google.com. Clicking it sent me to my iGoogle homepage. I wonder if clicking it gets you to the real Google if you are in the PRC.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Very nice blog you have here. I like reading political blogs for some reason. Anyway, I have a site myself where people from around the world come and debate on popular issues. I feel as if this will give citizens some form of power, letting their voices be heard.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. If you'd like to, please leave a comment under our "Compadres" page when you've added our link and we'll return the favor.

Until then, keep up the good work.

Jason
DEBATEitOUT.com

Dave said...

Hey Jason, thanks for stopping by. I'll check your place out.