Thursday, March 11, 2010

Buckets and Thimbles

There are a number of news reports about Bill Gates not being the richest guy in the world any more. He’s been passed by a Mexican mogul named Slim (look for his picture and you’ll understand why his name tickles me.)

What struck me is not that Bill is now only number two (and that Warren Buffett has moved down to three on the Forbes Billionaires list). Rather it is the fact that all three billionaires' net worth went up, substantially, from last year:

Slim from $35 billion to $53.5 billion.

Gates from $40 billion to $53 billion.

Buffett from $37 billion to $47 billion.

I guess the Recession hasn’t hit everybody. From the Forbes.com article:

“In his annual shareholder letter Buffett wrote, ‘We've put a lot of money to work during the chaos of the last two years. When it's raining gold, reach for a bucket, not a thimble.’

Many plutocrats did just that. Indeed, last year's wealth wasteland has become a billionaire bonanza. Most of the richest people on the planet have seen their fortunes soar in the past year.”

I got to get me one of those buckets to replace my thimble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warren Buffett is the one that amazes me. How do you make $10 billion as a philanthropist?

I think maybe he's doing it wrong.

Jeni said...

Sheesh, I'm thinking maybe my thimble has a leak in it cause I've not got anything in it much less needing a bucket.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Buckets start at a billion apiece. Cost goes down per the more you buy. In udder werds, takes money to make money.