Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Associated Press and the New "Fair Use"

BetaNews and BoingBoing have articles linked in NYTimes.com's Technology News Section about AP's current dust up about use of its news articles and headlines.

AP recently sent a letter to Drudge Retort (not Drudge Report) demanding that it take down links to, and quotes from, several AP stories. Last weekend, AP backed off the demand and announced that it was meeting this week with leaders of the Media Bloggers Association, whatever that is, to discuss a new system of payment for quoting AP.

It seems that AP currently wants anyone quoting five words or more from one of its stories to pay $12.50 (five words) to $100.00 (251 words or more). "Educational" and "non-profit" quoters get a break on the rates.

Regular readers know that I am a strong supporter of a creator's right to receive payment from users. Downloading songs or movies without paying the copyright holder is illegal and wrong.

Copyright law has always had a "fair use" exception. You are allowed to quote, without infringing on a copyright if your use falls within certain limits:

"US COPYRIGHT ACT, Chapter 1, § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include --
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors."

Like a lot of law, this section of the United States Code, is not a model of clarity. (Though there are a lot of court decisions that flesh it out. For an excellent review of copyright and fair use history, I recommend this article by Lydia Loren.) AP's system is much clearer. You get four free words, after that you pay. If AP can get people to buy into it, fine. A bright line rule would of course be easier for AP to enforce. It would provide certainty for users.

There are two problems. First, it isn't the law. If the idea of fair use is going to be changed, it is a matter for Congress. Second, AP's numerical approach would gut the purpose of the fair use doctrine. Will teachers, scholars, researchers and pundits pay? Maybe some; but, most would not. Public discourse would suffer.

This last point belies the real purpose of AP's gambit. The great, great majority of commercial users of AP's content, newspapers, magazines, commercial bloggers (i.e., Huffington Post) and radio and television news, already pay for AP content. The gambit can only be seen as an attempt to profit from the rest of us, the great majority, fairly using the content to make a point.

Will it work? I don't think so. In the meantime, I'll probably use AP less as a jumping off point for my avoidance of work.

4 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

What do you figure is the definition of a non-profit quoter? I don't make a dime off my online ramblings. Ergo, I make no profits. And yet, I am not incorporated as a "Non Profit" in the eyes of the law.

What would I have to pay, you figure?

Nevermind -- I won't quote AP.

The Curmudgeon said...

This is quite possibly the craziest thing I've seen in a long time. I clicked through the links but didn't get back to the New York Times (genuflection optional) article you mentioned. I can't help but wonder if this won't turn out to be someone's idea of a joke.

I quote from AP articles all the time -- giving attribution both to AP and to the actual AP reporter and a link to the source where I found the story. I hardly ever reproduce an article in full -- and on those rare occasions where I have done so I have stated my purpose for so doing. Fair use? I sure think so.

Images? Well, the page looks rather wordy sometimes... so I've grabbed images from Yahoo! or Google... but, generally, when I use a photo from AP or some other news source, I'll give attribution and a link -- since I'm the unimaginative sort, those kind of photos are generally lifted from the same source from which I'm quoting (w/ attribution, etc.) already.

Fair use? Maybe less clear -- though I don't think so.

In the meantime, perhaps we should form the Media Bloggers Organization, sell memberships, and offer to use AP copy primarily (as opposed to AFP or Reuters, for example) in exchange for a payment from AP of three cents a post -- one each for you and me and one for the blogger-MBO member making the post.

It could add up....

dr sardonicus said...

I figure I'm too small for the AP to find me. And if any fancypants AP lawyer gets an idea to come up in these here hills after me, we have a tradition of making revenuers who came looking for stills disappear.

fermicat said...

The fastest way to become irrelevant in the digital age is to discourage online users from calling attention to, or linking, your content. It isn't as if there aren't other news sources that could be quoted. This is probably good news for them.