Sunday, February 08, 2009

Weekend Update

For some reason on Friday night I decided I wanted a Blu-ray player. I researched it found a Samsung that will also steam Netflix content to the TV screen.

It took me all morning Saturday to find it. It took no time at all to plug it in and play a DVD. The rest was downhill, and I’m still at the bottom of the hill

First problem, I can’t get it to output audio to the home theater thru the optical cable, it insists on going through the HDMI cable to the TV.

Second, can’t get the player to talk to Netflix to get the code to activate the streaming capability. As near as I can figure, I’ve screwed up the LAN settings, though it connected to the Internet to download a firmware update.

A few minutes ago, I connected the player directly to the modem to get the code, got it, reconnected the computer, input the code at Netflix and was told the code had “expired.”

That’s enough for today. Guess what I’m doing tomorrow night?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess would be you're throwing all of your technology away and moving to Montana to live in a cardboard box, like the Unabomber did.

Am I close?

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

"First problem, I can’t get it to output audio to the home theater thru the optical cable, it insists on going through the HDMI cable to the TV."

My understanding is that if you are going for 1080p resolution, it will insist on routing through HDMI. I assume that your amp doesn't have HDMI in/out ports. Mine doesn't, but I don't need it, since my TV doesn't do 1080p.

Dave said...

Made me laugh Thomas. I'm leaving right after I get the sucker to work.

As to that, Pos, don't tell me that. I get the great picture and pedestrian sound?

Anonymous said...

Calling the Geek Squad?

Gypsy at Heart said...

Return it Dave. That or get yourself a 6 year old to come and help. That always works for me!

Dave said...

Rick and Milena, I'll have you know I've fixed part of the problem.

Blu-ray is working fine (and it is amazing, HDTV and DVD's were good - you've not seen what is there to be seen until you've watched BR) and I've gotten the player to talk nice to the home theater ( the manual says there are three settings for the video optical connection it just doesn't tell you that the default setting send the sound to your TV). And I've gotten Netflix to give me my authorization code to stream its movies.

The problem remaining is that the player will not talk to Netflix through the router, so I can't steam said movies to the TV. That's tonight's project.

I don't need a skinny kid with a white shirt and a black tie or a six year old. I can do it!