Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Good to Have Friends

If the government wants to put people to work, I’ve discovered a stimulus project. Buy everyone in America a couple of ceiling fans and hire people to install them.

I have two new ceiling fans today, thanks to Lowe’s and Mac.

Lowe’s supplied the ridiculously low cost hardware. Mac, my electrical contractor friend, supplied about five minutes of actual electrical work and an hour and a half of unscrewing and screwing screws. He actually knows what he’s doing and it took that long.

I have a new stimulus career as an apprentice electrician. By the second fan installation, I had the handing of blades, screws and tools down to a minor science.

Since Mac reads this (though he never comments), thanks.

4 comments:

SonjaB said...

Husband & his dad installed a new fan in the bed room. We need dad to do the electrical. I agree with you though. There's plenty to do around here but neither one of us is handy.

Jenn said...

I just don't like doing fan's. My uncle is kind of wierd with the fans. If one goes out and they don't have the same style then we have to buy new fans for all the rooms on the floor it went out and then we got to replace all the fans (at once) so they match. SIGH. After about the second one my arms get tired of holding the stinking fan up so he can screw it in!

Sounds like you did well, Dave, real well.

Jeni said...

Ya know Dave, I was just thinking prior to reading your post, about how it's good to have friends who can sometimes give us a hand and we can learn a thing from them now and again. Glad you benefited on your end from a friend and glad I had the benefit of some words from a friend too earlier in the day. Thanks and Peace.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

On my Sunday, I got a new dryer thanks to Sears Outlet and John. John didn't do all that much besides provide moral support, but he does have a hand-truck and I have a bunch of stairs leading into my house.