Thursday, March 05, 2009

Once Again Into the Breach

California is a volatile place, physically, socially and politically. They have wildfires, hurricanes and earthquakes. They put fruit on their pizzas. Then there are those props.

The latest prop is back in court. I won’t repeat the history of gay rights in California. I’ll just leave it at there are times my profession gets in the way of simple decency and common sense.

Arguments were heard before California’s Supreme Court on the proposition that made gay marriage illegal again. I’m tired of the arguments.

I like pretty women. Were I to find one that was also smart, funny and tolerant, who would have me, I can marry her, here in the political and social backwater of Georgia and in every state all the way west to progressive California.

Were I to like handsome guys and found one that was smart, funny and tolerant…. the story is different.

We have enough problems in the country and the world that matter. It is beyond my ability to understand that people spend their time trying to prevent some people who love each from being treated the same as other people that love each other. To me it’s as simple as that. When you start applying law, religion and philosophy you make a big mistake.

I’ll listen to hip hop and show tunes, I’ll not look askance at pierced people, I’ll not hate the Yankees, the Gators and Steve Spurrier (and that’s a tough one), I’ll never say another negative thing about my state’s officials and swear to never support Sunday alcohol sales here in Georgia, if we could just agree on this loving business.

Tolerance, what a concept. We don’t have to talk to them, we can shun them like the people down the block that have a messy yard or the Catholics/Baptists/Devil worshippers in the neighborhood. We don’t have to like them; hell, hate them. Just let them be. How hard could it be?

6 comments:

Hedy said...

Lovely. Just lovely, Dave. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I, for example, tolerate evangelical Christians. I don't approve of them, but what they do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business.

I just hate it when they preach right out on the streets in front of everybody. That's just gross, and I don't want my kids to see that.

Sonja's Mom said...

AMEN! AMEN! aMEN!!

Keith said...

While I'm not "religious", I do consider myself a Follower of Christ. As a matter of fact, I would say that I fit the definition of a "Christian", but I hate that label as it has several negative labels attached to it. The #1 being intolerant.

Great post Dave. If folks want to love each other and it just so happens to be that they are of the same sex, who am I to tell them that they cannot do this?

Love...it's a great word. Sad to say though that it is often not put into practice.

Dave said...

The longer I'm at this living business, it seems we spend way too much time pissing at each other about piddly little things.

It's probably better as a post were I to take the time to think about it; but, I think there are a lot of people that are just plain scared and take it out on people that they think could hurt them in some unarticulated way.

Jeni said...

Very good take on the situation, Dave. I have to agree, especially with your last line -:How hard could it be?" Indeed, how hard, really? For those who profess to be of a select religious group and who think gay marriages would signal the end of the world in then next ten days or so, were this to become legal in this country, aren't they too also the ones who tend to preach the longest and loudest about loving the Lord, the enemy, the whoever? And yet, aren't they usually the first in line to try to deny the right to live and love as each sees fit? How hard could it be? Evidently, to many, it is an impossible feat. Personally, I think it's one of the easiest things ever. Keep plugging away at this. Who knows, maybe someone with some pull or power will see it and say "Hey! What a simple and very logical concept!"