Sunday, March 21, 2010

You know you're in trouble when...

…you’re looking for a nice restaurant and Yelp’s top five for traditional restaurants for the area includes TGI Friday’s (which is also the second best steak place), two Coney Island hot dog joints and a “pub and grille” that a reviewer said was “OK” because it had pool tables (it is rated number one for steaks).

Under “new American,” there are seven choices, one of which is a Chili’s.

The Italian section looks more promising, Olive Garden isn’t among the picks.

I’m going to Dearborn, Michigan Fourth of July Weekend for a convention of sorts. There will be some downtime and a friend suggested we put together a dinner away from the hotel.

I wandered around the Internet and found some of the places that were there decades ago when I lived there as a kid; but, when I was a kid, fancy wasn’t in the budget. Restaurants consisted of A&W Root Beer Drive-ins, the previously mentioned Coney Islands and once a year a trip to Frankenmuth, a couple of hours North of town, for all you can eat family style chicken dinners. I don’t think my friends are going to settle for what I thought was great as a kid.

Hedy, between you and your parents, and I know you’re from the fancy side of town, is there anything good in Dearborn?

8 comments:

Wes said...

A lawyer friend* of mine just moved to Atlanta from NYC, but she grew up in Michigan and goes back often. I don't have her e-mail handy, but she blogs at redstatediary.blogspot.com.

*we haven't actually met, but we have several mutual friends and I've read her blogs for years.

WF

Dave said...

Thanks Wes.

SonjaB said...

Try Urban Spoon

Dave said...

Hey Annie. You're right, maybe I can convince my friends to experiment with some Middle Eastern cuisine, though I'm thinking not.

As to ethnicity in food, there is less and less and we blend more and more. That's probably partly good and partly bad.

Dave said...

Proofread! The and after the first less should be as.

Hedy said...

Fancy for us was Big Boy's. If we were good kids we got banana cream pie or that ice cream fudge cake thing for dessert. If you're gonna be in Dearborn, try catching some time at the Henry Ford museum. Good stuff. I thought you were coming to Chicago?

Dave said...

The hot fudge cake at Big Boy was good. I went to the Museum and the Village for field trips as a kid. Might be fun as a an adult.

I will be in Chicago, just not sure when yet. At least it will be warm weather.

Hedy said...

Keep me posted on the Chicago plan...looking forward to it!