Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Is the TSA all that bad?


I flew from New Orleans to Atlanta earlier this week.

The security line was medium long, not unexpected because it was the tail end of morning rush hour.  As we got to the magnatometors, there were two lines, or so it seemed.  As it turned out there were three, as one split off from the right line – but you couldn’t really tell that from where people chose a line. 

Then, the TSA lady shut down the line that split off, trapping a couple in it.  The TSA lady kept saying something that I wasn’t paying much attention to as I wasn’t involved.  I do know that what she was saying in a heavy Louisiana accent wasn’t clear.  It wasn’t at all clear to the couple who were unfortunately New York City types.

The couple finally figured out what she was saying (they were cut off and had to move to the other side of the table to go through the second of now only two machines).  They expressed their ire.  She told them she had told them three times.  They expressed their ire.  She told them they should be quiet or they “might not be flying anywhere.”  They gave venomous looks, she threw a haughty look, left and we all looked around at each other.

Cultural disconnect I suppose, with a gratuitous “I’ll let you know who is boss” parting shot.

All that said, that is the first time I’ve ever seen a TSA person acting close to stupidly in the ten years I’ve been flying since 9/11.  In that same time, I've seen them dealing with stupid people, clueless people, handicapped people, parents with screaming kids and so on, all with often some resignation, but usually with equinamity.

How ‘bout you?

2 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

All that said, that is the first time I’ve ever seen a TSA person acting close to stupidly in the ten years I’ve been flying since 9/11. In that same time, I've seen them dealing with stupid people, clueless people, handicapped people, parents with screaming kids and so on, all with often some resignation, but usually with equanimity.

I won't say they're all bad guys because they're not: The people who had to help us get my mother-in-law through security on our way to and from my son's wedding this year stand out as really shining examples: Despite serious provocation (she insisted she could carry liquids through security, etc. because of her "senior citizen" status) the TSA folks were quite patient.

But if the TSA folks are mostly good people, IT IS STILL A BAD SYSTEM.

There is no earthly reason to do any of this to 99.9% of the good people who go through airports. Some general screening may arguably be necessary -- but only to provide an opportunity for vigilant, unobtrusive security to look for people acting (note -- acting, not dressing) in a suspicious manner at a point where they're not moving. (That said, I've often wondered why a person under 70 would travel in distinctively Asian garb unless one were taking a flight to a distinctively Asian country and wanted to fit in on arrival. Or the clueless folks who wear t-shirts with Arabic slogans. Try wearing a t-shirt that says 'Drunk Pilots Association' and see how far you get in the airport sometime.)

One idiot had a defective bomb in his shoe and now millions of travelers have to take off their shoes in airports. Ridiculous. Another moron tried to stuff some explosive in his shorts and now we have -- at tremendous taxpayer expense -- screening machines that see everything and (supposedly) record nothing. (Yeah, right: wait until the next time Jessica Alba or someone like that flies commercial.) And, as the guy in San Diego found out, beefing about it only gets you groped. Even when he tried to leave the airport.

This is a civil liberties nightmare and I hope people rise up and demand reform. I also hope to win the Lotto, however, and I am keenly aware that not all of my hopes will come to fruition.

Have Myelin? said...

I can't stand TSA. I was pulled out of the airplane (in front of everyone) to have my cochlear implant dusted for explosives.

I will not fly until they change security to something less invasive and/or innovative.

No one is touching me without my permission. And I don't need the backscatter radiation, trust me.