Friday, January 12, 2007

What Hath TiVo Wrought?

If you've read this blog before, or talked to me in person, you know I love TiVo.

Three stories on the influence of TiVo:

First. I've been in a hotels (being male, the remote is always near). While watching TV, I miss something or want to see it again. Reach for the remote. Damn, no TiVo. Timeshifting becomes part of watching TV when you have TiVo.

Second. I'm driving down the road, half listening to the radio. Something catches my ear and I have the same reaction as I had in the hotel room. Damn again. I think XM or Sirius or both are starting to sell receivers that have a mini-DVR in them so you can back-up while listening.

Third. And the best. I think I'm glad this wasn't me. A friend was in his office which has a TV and a security camera monitor. Thus, there are remotes on his desk. Several people were having a discussion that he wasn't paying much attention to. Yes, for a moment he started to reach for the remote to play back what he had missed while zoning out.

1 comment:

Life Hiker said...

DVR - It's great! See it when you want to, fast-forward the commercials... Wife and I can schedule TV dates, watching our favorite program on our own schedule.

On the other hand, it's just hastening the day when free TV will disappear, except for infomercials (does anyone record them?).