Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Who's Story Is It?

Yesterday I wrote the words "[n]icely written. Your words gave me your experience" as a comment to a post on hedysblog.blogspot.com. Stiff. Inarticulate. Here's what I meant to say.

You may think I'm wrong; but, reading is better than watching a story. Hedy wrote about going to breakfast at a diner last Saturday with her husband. In her post, she took me with them.

I've been to diners. After the fact, thinking about what I saw, smelled and tasted in them is one story. Reading someone else's description, results in a different story, one I helped to "write."

When I was in college, I saw a performance of Shakespeare's The Tempest. They did it wrong. I know they did because I had read, and in the process, cast, staged and directed the play, in my head. As the performance unfolded, I felt I and Shakespeare were being badly wronged. Bill had created a wonderful world that I could populate while reading. Those people on the stage had done it differently.

Without belaboring differences in art and craft, good writing engages your imagination. Even the best stage or film production does little to ignite your imagination.

When I went to the diner with Hedy and her husband the "narrow green doorway" was on the right of the building as you faced it. The "seven stools at the curvy counter" were along the back wall, in front of the grill. The "maybe ten tables, tops" were along the front wall. Kathy, the proprietor, "with her salt and pepper hair [and] warm smiling eyes" was wearing a red sweater. Hedy by her descriptions, gave me the basics with which to cast and stage the play.

Had I not read Hedy's story, and gone to see her or someone else's production of it, their interpretation would be limiting. They might put the door on the left, the counter could be on the side wall and Kathy could be wearing an apron. I'm then stuck with their interpretation whether good or bad. I could like it, or not. In either case, I can't participate. Reading good writing trumps watching even the best play or movie.

6 comments:

Hedy said...

You said it way better than I could. The beauty of a story well told is it becomes OURS -- it becomes a part of us and our imagination. I know this is a lame comparison, but Jim and I watched The DaVinci Code movie over the weekend and I really wish we hadn't. Thanks so much for the link and your kind words, Dave.

Dave said...

So, where's the door?

fermicat said...

Good writing transports us into the scene in a rich, lifelike way. You can hear, smell, touch, and see what transpires as though you are there. This is one reason why I enjoy reading certain blogs, such as Waiter Rant (http://waiterrant.net). It isn't waiters or restaurants that I find interesting - it is the superb storytelling.

Dave said...

You are right. Though he hasn't written much lately, try Niagaran Pebbles, damn, I can't get the link thing to work. http://posolxstvo1.blogspot.com/

Still can't link but there's the url. The guy is a great writer

Sewmouse said...

Even so - isn't it amazing when a film crew manages to stage something so well that you believe it without question, even if it comes from a book you've read and re-read and loved?

Peter Jackson and his crew did it with the extended version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies - and so did Victor Fleming and his crew on Gone With the Wind.

Dave said...

Sewmouse, you have a point. An example that comes to mind is The Old Man and The Sea from the early sixties. Better than the book that I loved.

Maybe I should restate my point as reading, being active, is often more enjoyable than viewing a play or a movie passively.