Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Tuesday Quandary

Georgia votes with the masses tomorrow; but, I haven’t decided whether to participate. More accurately put, I have decided, probably; but, I’m not happy about it.

First, the logistics. Georgia holds an open primary. I can decide whether I wanted to muck in the Dem or GOP race.

Second, the dilemma. I don’t want to see any of the candidates as the next President. I’ve got major objections to all of them.

Finally, the quandary. How to I decide who I dislike the most and then cast a vote for their opponent?

McCain is anti-choice (or pro-life depending on your slant). He is old, not a knock out blow (I hope), but a factor. His maverick persona, though it fits right in in the Senate, may not be the best for leadership.

Romney would be Everymans’ President. What do you want me to espouse? Fill in the blank. I am for/against gay marriage/civil unions. I support/oppose government provided health insurance. Which Mitt would move into the White House? For sure, the one who is anti-choice, anti-immigration and pro-business (though the last isn’t all bad, sorry Thomas).

Obama wants to spend us into an earthly paradise where everyone has enough and everyone cherishes our collective diversity (a purposeful choice of adjective).

Clinton wants what she wants and beware those that stand in her way. Issue by issue there’s not too much difference between her and Obama. Her approach to getting there would be less congenial and more “take this. It’s good for you because I say so. Don’t look in the closets, politics is like sausage making, you don’t want to look to closely.” And she is dishonest.

None of them have a clue as to what to do about international issues, most pressing those simmering and exploding in the middle east. Though, I have a sense that Obama sees the traditional U.S. super power role as unsustainable and might bring a fresh perspective.

Huckabee. Paul. Gravel. Non-factors at this point.

So, from reading what I just wrote, it appears I dislike Romney and Clinton more than I dislike McCain and Obama.

But who’s the worst? I’ll ponder that overnight.

12 comments:

The Exception said...

We have an open primary as well. Though I know who I will choose, I am concerned that many will vote to make "history" over voting for the person they feel would be the best president.

Lifehiker said...

I end up just where you do, but I wish the choices were a bit better overall.

McCain loves war too much - strange for a veteran and a prisoner.

I guess I'll wait and see on Obama...will he destroy himself before November with some stupid comment? Or will "Bomb, bomb, bomb, - bomb, bomb,Iran" beat him to the punch?

Much to my chagrin, I'm locked into the republican primary in NY - so I'll vote for Romney just to keep it interesting on the rethug side.

Anonymous said...

I think you should vote anyway, just from principle, Dave. Otherwise I'll have to give you the story about my father having to walk five miles in blinding snow to be one of the first men in his family to vote....

Isn't it a good thing I don't have your cell number:-)

Anonymous said...

Oops, that's me (Anon).

Debo Blue

Hedy said...

I still believe Obama is the best choice for us right now. And the overriding factor for me is trust. It's simple. I trust him to do what's right for this country more than any of the other candidates. [steps down off soapbox]

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I am observing Super Tuesday by having a physical - complete with all the "old man" checks. (My father has prostate "issues" that I don't want if that isn't too much info.)

Feels oddly appropriate.

Anonymous said...

I always vote in every election. If you don't vote - you can't complain and I love to complain!

Jim Donahue said...

I've been independent my entire voting life, but I wanted to vote in today's NY primary. I made some calls and found out that I would have had to switch by last OCTOBER in order to participate.

Isn't that crazy?

fermicat said...

Did you figure it out?

Usually it seems to be a choice between "Meh" and "Bleah," but this year I actually like at least one candidate in each party.

I avoided the lines and craziness by voting last Friday during the early voting period. PDM hit the polls first thing this morning when they opened.

Dave said...

Fermi, no I didn't; though in my own defense, when I read your post this morning, with the timing, I was puzzled.

For all: I was in at about 7:30 a.m. and out about five minutes later. There was a steady number of people moving through the polling place.

An aside: aren't little kids, well, little. They're so cute; and, as a bonus, I don't have to take care of them.

Finally, I'll announce my vote in a post.

fermicat said...

By "puzzled about the timing" I assume you mean that I had announced I had voted in a post that was uploaded thirty minutes before the polls opened? I was amazed at how many people at work had no idea that there was such a thing as early voting in Georgia. It is very convenient if you're sure your guy won't drop out and you won't change your mind. I was the only one who didn't have to leave work early to go vote.

Sudiegirl said...

The worst?

Two words...Lyndon.Larouche.

I has spoken.