Friday, May 23, 2008

The UPS Guy

My father died of cancer back in 1991. It came on in late Winter and he was gone pretty quickly on Memorial Day.

My parents lived out in the country in northern lower Michigan, about thirty miles northwest of Cadillac. Their next door neighbor had a fruit and vegetable farm (strawberries, cucumber pickles) and was a commercial sprinkler dealer. So, he got a lot of deliveries by UPS. The driver passed my parents house a couple of times a day. He always sounded his horn and waved if my father was in the yard.

Early in '91, my father had ordered a swing from a catalogue. A small two person swing that you can hang on a porch or from the branch of a tree. They didn't have much of a porch, more of a stoop with a roof over it. There was a huge tree in the front yard with a nice branch about ten feet up. That was the planned location for the swing.

The UPS driver delivered it and he and Dad talked about its placement. My father was pretty frail at that point. The UPS guy told him he'd come out and help him install it the first good weather weekend that came along.

A day or so later, the UPS guy was driving past and saw my father in the yard with the parts scattered around him, trying to put the swing together. He pulled into the driveway and meandered over.

"Lloyd, I told you I'd help you with this."

"I know, I just need to get this going."

"I'll tell you what, I get done about four, I can get back here maybe quarter till five and we'll get it going."

"Thanks, but that's not necessary, I can manage it."

"You can, but I can help. I'll see you in a few hours."

The UPS terminal was in Cadillac, as I said, thirty miles away. The UPS guy finished his route, turned in the truck and drove back, out of his way. They put the swing together and hung it.

Last I knew, the swing was still there.

13 comments:

Keith said...

Now that Dave, was an uplifting story. That UPS driver sounds like a great guy. Hope you have a very nice weekend.

Peace!
Keith

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Dave - I loved this story. Thank you.

My rant yesterday about waiting for a FedEx delivery, I made a sideways mention of the UPS guy... Here, for UPS deliveries, we always get the same UPS guy. His name is Ed. We know Ed. Ed takes care of us. Ed's a good guy.

He's like the old time family doctor. He knows you, knows your hours, and will come back if he doesn't catch you right away.

The FedEx guy is more like an HMO / Clinic. You never know who you're going to get, and they're always rushing rushing rushing.

Sure, that's not everyone's experience*, but it is mine. And it seems that it's a bit yours too.

* A UPS truck backed over and removed from existence a friend's young puppy, and now my kids and their friends say that "UPS" stands for "United Puppy Squashers."

Anonymous said...

I liked that story. :o)

Moe Wanchuk said...

Great story....It's my day off and I just shot 88 and felt like throwing my clubs in the pond.
That got me back down to earth...and happy again

Anonymous said...

What a great story - thanks for shareing.

Wendy said...

Well I'll be darn, there is a softer side to the city lawyer. I might refer you back to a past blog of my about a Miracle a day. This story is a prime example of this theroy, also a prime example of humanity(even if it was years ago)left on our planet. What prompted you to plog this story?

Sometimes it is nice to forget about all the Goverment stupidity and just look for a nice bit of reality.

The Exception said...

That was a nice story. I hope that there are still people like that - willing and wanting to help one another.

Dave said...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Wendy, the post was the result of a post by Pos yesterday talking about a delivery problem and that reminding me that Memorial Day is the seventeenth year after my father's death.

And, I'm actually all soft side. Read back throught the archives, the political sarcasm is a front. Do a word search on the blog for Thanksgiving, it's one of my favorites.

Dave said...

Wendy, skip the Thanksgiving search, I've used that word more than I thought. Search for Trypophan, that will get you to the post I'm talking about.

Dave said...

Damn: tryptophan

Keith said...

Hey Dave,

I remember that post about Tryptophan. Damn good post! :-)

Minnesotablue said...

A great heartwarming story. It's so nice to know there are such kind folks around.

Hedy said...

What a great story, Dave. Thank you.