Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Rules of Golf are Stupid

Brandt Snedicker, or some such spelling, just got a penalty stroke in the U.S. Open.

His ball was on the green. He bent to mark his ball (you put a coin next to it to pick it up to clean it). As he did so, he dropped the coin and it hit the ball. The ball moved. The rule is if you are placing the coin and it moves the ball, no penalty. But, if you drop the coin as you are placing it, you evil person you, one stroke penalty.

One of these days, I'm going to do a post on the stupidity of some of the rules of golf: "building a lie," "ball v. spike marks," "addressing the ball, rather than the ball moving before the address."

5 comments:

Moe Wanchuk said...

You ever play golf with someone who is a rules fanatic? It's a painful 4 hrs.

You just knew Tiger would make that putt. At least we'll have something to do at work tomorrow.

dr sardonicus said...

It's "Snedeker". Nashville boy, Vanderbilt grad. Last year's PGA Rookie Of The Year. Remember the name.

The guy I'm working with tonight said Rocco Mediate choked. I said no, Mediate didn't choke - Tiger's that good.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I think I know how to address the ball. I'm just not sure where to put the stamp...

Ba DUM!

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week!

dr sardonicus said...

That penalty also cost Snedeker $60,000.

Lifehiker said...

Thanks for bringing that esoteric rule to my attention, Dave. I'll be sure to hold tight to my coin as I bend down to mark my ball.

In my case, this afternoon, there was no doubt about the penalty as my ball sailed on a straight line past the right fairway and over some trees at about 225 yards away. Take 2 strokes and tee it again. (But had 83 with the 2, so not so bad.)

Incidentally, I thought Tiger made some uncharacteristically bad course management decisions in his match with Rocco. Somebody once told me to play conservative when I have a big lead...Tiger forgot and paid the price. But talent will not be denied.