Monday, July 21, 2008

Still Got It

Back in the early Eighties, I spent the weekend at my cousin’s house in Ocala, Florida. Saturday, he and his wife got a baby sitter for their then infant son and we “did the town.” Nice dinner somewhere, and then, on to the Ocala Holiday Inn for music.

Yes, I know, Holiday Inn, bad lounge singer. Not always.

I won’t tell you the name of the act just yet. They were set up in one of the ballrooms. We were seated about midway back. The lights went down in the room and up on the stage. And we heard the most amazing sounds, of the then unknown, Miami Sound Machine.

One of the best lounge acts I’ve ever seen. Why bring this up now? I watched the now Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine on TV in a concert at Caesar’s Palace.

She and they have still got it.

4 comments:

The Exception said...

That is so cool! You can say "I saw them when..."

dr sardonicus said...

Had it right the first time, Dave. Bad lounge act.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

The only thing I have that comes close is that I saw "They Might Be Giants" play at the coffee house at my college in the 80's. I had a chance to hang out with them afterward, but they decided to hit the road early rather than be trapped in a snow bank in the middle of nowhere.

Flippin' divas!

Wendy said...

Ocala,
about an hour away, I know the the Holiday Inn. Although last time I was there it was with a few drunk cowboys and it was the 90's