Saturday, August 02, 2008

Ya Gotta Love It...

or a mélange of things that don’t amount to a post.

I got an invoice from the AJC for my next year of Sunday papers. $99.00. That amounts to a discount of $5.00 off the newsstand price. I remember doing this last year, when their offer was even more ludicrous. I also remember that I ignored them and that the offer got better. AJC, I am in the process of ignoring you.

Why am I pleased by the fact that I paid $2.78 a gallon for gas today?

Since the price is really $2.789, is the pump really calibrated not to screw me out of 1000’th (is that the way you write it?) of a cent per gallon? Where did the “.9” come from?

I’ve been spoiled living in Atlanta in the Nineties and the O’s until ’04 as the Braves just plugged along winning for the most part. At this time of the year, we were always a buyer in trades rather than the seller we became this year. A bunch of us went to the game last night to see a 9 – 0 loss to the Brewers. Hot, steamy, bad baseball, coupled with $7.00 hot dogs, $6.50 beers and $4.50 waters, a great way to waste a Friday night.

A week ago tomorrow, I was an amazing golfer. This morning, not so much as they say. Someone tell me a pull is a good thing.

9 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

You paid $2.78 a gallon?!?!?!

Is that a typo?

Prices are still north of $3.80 around here. Did you mean $3.78 a gallon? Or do I need to move to Atlanta?

Dave said...

Three, and I still stupidly feel good.

Moe Wanchuk said...

Speaking of the Braves, they just ROBBED my Tigers last offseason. The Tigers got Edgar Renteria and the Braves got Jars Jurrins (sp?). What a frickin steal. The Braves GM just mugged us!...Damn!

That girl said...

Gas is out of control here too...let's talk more about your golfing ability...I would love to improve my pathetic swing.

fermicat said...

I'm thinking I won't renew my newspaper subscription when it comes due. They don't offer anything (other than the tactile feel of the actual paper) that I can't get online. And the internet news is "fresher".

I haven't bought gas in several weeks due to my short commute and not going anywhere on the weekends, but I have noticed it has been ticking downward in price. Of course this happened just AFTER I filled up.

I still remember the Braves of my childhood, so losing all these games feels sort of natural to me. That doesn't mean I like it.

I hate golf. There is nothing less satisfying than an afternoon of "swing and miss". When I do connect, the ball (a)doesn't go very far, and (b)doesn't go where I wanted it to.

Gypsy at Heart said...

Wait! you paid $2.78? and Posolxstvo paid $3.80? BUT, I'm paying $4.27 over here and this is Texas, we are oil rich here. What is going on?

As to physical paper, the only one I get is the Wall Street Journal and I will not even GET into how much that costs. Ridiculous but the on-line version costs more. Plus, I like the actual feel of this particular newspaper and so I have no one to blame but myself for the expenditure.

Golf. No good at it. Me and the clubs don't get along. Tomorrow same time next week you'll be doing better. My magic 8 ball said so. ;-)

dr sardonicus said...

Around here, it's about $3.75. Had you actually paid $2.78, it would have almost been worth it for me to drive down to Atlanta to fill up.

Next year at this time, you'll think $4.75 is cheap...

Anonymous said...

what is the meaning of "whompous" ?

Dave said...

Not sure Duke, big?