Friday, July 23, 2010

Smart phone people - a request

So I tap the contacts icon on the screen of my smart phone.  I scroll to get to the person I want to call and tap again.  Then I have to tap the call rather than text or email box.  Then I get a screen that gives me the name and number (and if I'd taken a picture) a picture of the person I'm calling in scarlet while the phone is dialing.  It switches to green once the call starts.

Here's the thing, when you make a call to a business, and a lot of people, you have to go through phone hell.  Why doesn't the screen go to the number pad?  I know who I've just called, I got their voicemail or am in the aforementioned phone hell.  I need to press 1 or 3 or mash 0 a bunch.  But before I can do that, I have to push another icon in the lower right corner of the screen to get the pop-up number display, not something that is wise to do while driving and a pain to do while just sitting or standing.

Calling on the phone wizards here, why are you making me do this?

2 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

The iPhone, while not perfect, seems to have a better interface for this sort of thing than whatever it is that you're using. And I hear that AT&T is losing it's exclusiv contract with Apple for these things.

You maybe want to look at that?

Dave said...

As it turns out, I just got a new Android phone about a month ago - T-Mobile My Touch Slide - and am locked in for awhile. The iPhone is slicker than Android for a lot of things; but, T-Mobile is a lot cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. Always a compromise isn't it?