Saturday, September 10, 2011

I think, for the last time...

I spent September 11, 2001 and the next few days in New Jersey being unable to get through the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan.  I wrote about it a few years back and since have just linked to the posts.  I've never been a fan of round number anniversaries, I'm not sure why they are special.

I actually haven't re-read the linked posts.  What I do remember about my week in the wilds of Newark was the uncommon kindness of strangers and friends.  I think that's what I'm going to hold on to from ten years ago, it seems so much more valuable than what has followed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do remember where I was and what I was doing at the time. I'm especially thankful I was not in NY or any of the other attack sites that day.

I think that as a country we have failed to learn the lessons of 9/11. I feel not a whit safer now than I did before. I'm disappointed but not surprised that it was so easy to gear up the war machinery and pour money into nation-building while our infrastructure is failing. In many ways, life in this country is becoming more dangerous. But the vast majority of the danger has not a thing to do with terrorism. The light on the train at the end of the tunnel has gone out and it's barreling toward us.

Ok, I think I've spread enough gloom and doom. Hubby and I will be staying home tomorrow and avoiding large public venues for the rest of the month. Hope there isn't an anniversary attack, that would sink the economy for sure. And Obama's presidency along with it.

Barbara Burch Allen

Dave said...

You may be more gloomy than I normally am. That said, I can't say you are wrong. Welcome to the blog. I don't post as much as I used to; but, I keep it for when I want to actually write something rather than riff.