Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Waiting for Godot


There’s a line in the opinion piece I linked to yesterday that I’ve been thinking about.  “There are tens of millions of low-information voters who hardly know which party controls which branch of government, let alone which party is pursuing a particular legislative tactic.”

By any measure, I’m not low on information.  I have way too much information, not enough of it valuable.  Put in legal terms, I don’t have enough relevant information.  Put another way, I’m in over my head when it comes to assigning blame for the messes we have, much less knowing how to clean up the messes.

And the scary thing is, our leaders are in over their heads too.  Obama, Boehner, Pelosi, McConnell, Reid and the various Tea Party types aren’t, at heart, evil.  They have their biases and those biases get in the way of solving problems.  But if the biases could be stripped away, I don’t think they have a clue, putting them in the same boat I’m in.

The boat is taking on water faster and faster and none of us know whether to row like hell for shore, bail like hell or wait for Godot* to rescue us.  Most of us have settled on waiting for what will pass for Godot.

Waiting for Godot is an absurdist play by Samuel Beckett in which two characters wait endlessly and in vain for someone named Godot to arrive.  Wikipedia, of course.

No comments: