Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Implanted Chip Ban Proposed, Among Other Pressing Matters

Georgia's General Assembly meets only forty days a year (though it takes them three or four months to get in the "forty days" due to tricks with the clock).

During those forty days there's a lot of stuff that has to get done. This year our Governor, Sonny Perdue, is promoting fishing in the state by a bill that would spend just under $20 Million Dollars under the slogan "Go Fish Georgia." Tick Tock. Our esteemed Governor is opposed to selling beer and wine at retail on Sunday, though bars and restaurants are free to sell it. Tick Tock. Republicans are proposing that we install a statue of former Governor and Senator Zell Miller on the Capitol grounds.The Democrats aren't sure because Miller is nominally a Democrat but gave the keynote address at a recent Republican convention. Tick Tock.


With all of these pressing matters pending, one of our representatives has introduced a bill that bars employers from forcibly implanting tracking chips in employees. I know that sentence can be read two ways. I take it that the bill will not allow an employee that refuses a chip to be fired. Since the Atlanta Journal-Constitution was brief and vague in its article this morning as is often the case, I'm left with guessing why such a bill was introduced. My guess is that Georgia is a "right to work" state, which, interestingly means that an employee can be fired for any or no reason. We aren't much for unions here in Georgia. But, the reason can't be racial, religious, etc. I guess we are adding silicone intolerance to the list. Tick Tock.

Somehow this strikes me as silly. If it's silly, it is becoming mass silliness because Wisconsin passed a similar law last year; and, seventeen other states have the matter under consideration. You'd think that if it were really a dumb law that it would have originated in California or Oregon.

I guess I'm just glad that the Georgia Legislature and Governor are ahead of the curve in protecting me and my fellow Georgians, especially as they only have those forty, short days to do it in. If all goes right, Sundays in Georgia are going to be the alcohol and implant free, fishin' and statue buildin' paradise God (Southern Baptist edition) meant for us to enjoy.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Sounds like the Georgia state legislators have their work cut out for themselves...

That was a great post.

Dave said...

Thanks Ryan. I went over to your blog and read some of your posts. Good stuff.

fermicat said...

The Zell Miller thing cracks me up. The fishing thing makes me sigh and roll my eyes. And you already know how I feel about the Sunday beer and wine thing. But implanted chips? That is just bizarre.

Dave said...

We need to look at as a good thing they are messing with this stuff. Less time to mess important stuff up.