Thursday, February 22, 2007

It's Good To Be a Carpetbagger

It's a bit past one in the afternoon. I just got back from having "meat and two," cornbread and tea for lunch. I drove to and from the restaurant with the windows down. It's 66 degrees outside, there's a gentle breeze blowing and the sky is blue. The tree outside the office door has tiny little buds on it. The little bird perched on a branch isn't chirping though - needs to get with it.

I am in my third decade of living in the South. Never goin' back.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Been in the South my whole life, and I'll never live anywhere else. Sure, I love visiting other places, but when it comes to life, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Thanks for the well wishes today, Dave. This hasn't been one of my better days, that's for sure.

fermicat said...

I work in the basement and completely missed it due to eating lunch in the department and then working late.

Life Hiker said...

It's 32 degrees, with a light snow/sleet mixture, and the wind is blowing like crazy. My driveway is a sheet of ice. Welcome to Rochester, NY, on February 22, 2007.

It was my bad luck to have picked tonight's overnight shift on the volunteer ambulance. Anyone want to bet I don't go out at 3 a.m. to get some idiot who spun him or herself into a ditch?

I'll think about y'all in the warm South as I struggle down into the ditch to find him.