Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New Phone Company Update - One For Six

If you haven't read the previous post, read it first.

Now, though admittedly unscientific, I judge the new AT&T to be something less than 20% good in terms of the employees I encountered in the fiasco described in the previous post.

At about noon today after not getting the call promised by nice rep number five, I again called tech/repair. The nice lady (number 6) did all the robot talk her predecessors did. As I described the problem, I told her that I punched in my PIN, "xbyd." She said NO, that isn't your PIN, its "xycm." Said I, I got my pin from my monthly statement. She replied, doesn't matter, your PIN is "xbyd."

We proceeded to test her theory. She hung up, though I was reluctant to let her before getting her solemn promise to call me if her resetting didn't work and before I gave her five different ways to find me, if it failed. We hung up without wishing each other to have a nice day.

A minute later my office phone rang. I picked it up and told the caller "I love you." She giggled. We talked a bit. She said "woo who," if that's the way it's spelled, at one point. She wished me a great week.

So, why didn't five New AT&T employees ask me what PIN I was using? Why did my statement give me the wrong PIN? Why did the recording at the remote forwarding number loop instead of saying "you gave me the wrong &&^^% PIN, you idiot?" All of these questions are mysteries to me, after literally hours of searching for enlightenment on the phone. I am going to finish this post and go surfing for a zen website.

No comments: