Monday, April 09, 2007

"Judge Gone Wild"

I am happy to report that Bellsouth/Cingular/SBC/AT&T wireless internet is quite fast in the DFW Holiday Inn.

Other than overcast skies and a ten degree drop in temperature, Hotel Row at DFW looks remarkably like Hotel Row at ATL or in any other big city. I've always liked the Dallas skyline but I won't see it this trip as my meetings are in Bedford, next door to the airport.

I'm watching Fox News, Greta Van Susteren. She doesn't apparently do a lot of preparation for her interviews. She interviewed Joe Francis, the man behind the Girls Gone Wild videos. Joe is on his way to Florida to turn himself into U.S. Marshals pursuant to a U.S. District Court warrant.

Joe got into a bit of trouble when seven under-aged girls sued him when their escapades were included in one of his videos.

Greta and Joe just couldn't get over that he was being sent to jail in connection with a civil case. Here's a hint for Greta next time she gets perplexed by a legal question: Google. The query "girls gone wild jail" brought up an ABC News story from last Thursday that explained that Joe had been found in contempt for failing to appear at an emergency hearing about his reneging on a settlement reached during a mediation. Most judges, especially federal judges, don't look kindly on that sort of behavior.

Greta was also perplexed when Joe said the Judge was putting him jail until he agreed to pay the plaintiffs more money. A bit of web surfing uncovered that the Judge has ordered Joe to pay the plaintiffs' lawyers' fees in connection with the hearing he didn't attend.

I guess Greta's to be forgiven as I'm sure she's distracted because there's a hearing tomorrow where Anna Nicole Smith's baby's DNA results will be announced. That was the lead story on the show, her head was probably still wrapped up in all of that.

Oh, the title of this post. Joe Francis had a good line in another interview about his take on the Judge in his case. He called him a "judge gone wild."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Greta. Fox's gain is CNN's gain.

Ryan said...

Hey.... Welcome to my town. If you have any problems what so ever while in Dallas - let me know. I can fix them.

When I hear a news story, I just assume it's not correct and actually find the facts. If it's broadcast by FOX, I sort all the drama out first before trying to figure out the truth.

I despise our news people.

You would have to admit that "Judges gone wild" was pretty witty though...

fermicat said...

I stopped watching TV news years ago. Looks like I haven't missed a thing.

Dave said...

I'm happy to say that Greta appears to have gotten over the fluster of last night. On tonight's show, it turns out that Larry what's his name is the Daddy, but Grandma is angling for some custody. The Rutgers basketball team is insulted by by Imus. All's right with Greta's world.

This will be my last night of boredom in a hotel room for awhile, my last viewing of Greta for awhile.

Regular posting will now resume.

Oh, Ryan, if you can "fix" my case here in Dallas, there's a big bonus on the horizon. You could use a bit of it to buy your way into Bob's VP slot.

Dondi Tiples said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog re: its bad review in italk2much. That site is always good for a lot of laughs, never taken it seriously, though. But appreciate your complimenting my writing. Btw, it's the photographer guy - what's his name? - who's the biological father of Danielynn, as per DNA testing. Anna Nicole must be turning over in her grave (if she's been buried already).
Nice blog. Happy posting!

Ron Davison said...

Dave,
this amazes me. You might think that news programs with multi-million dollar budgets would have money for research and be able to push back with the clarifications you made.
Sign me,
Stunned in San Diego!

Monica said...

I'm going to enjoy your writing. I have a paralegal background and my own research helped with my case for my son. (Not to mention their own stupidity when I produced a DD214.)

This has nothing to do with your post but it did remind me of a funny: my son came home from the Army and we unpacked his DVDs...hundreds of them. He said, "Mom, make sure all my "Girls Gone Wild" get put back in the cases. LOL.