Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ode To The Hot Dog

I have always loved hot dogs.

First rule, no ketchup, unless you are under five years of age, and then only sparingly and you are doing your child no favor by such indulgence.

Second rule, skins, not skinless. This one isn’t hard and fast, as the preferable isn’t always available and OK is better than nothing.

Third rule, Sabretts. That’s pretty much it, other than the fact that you can’t always find it here in the South. Boar’s Head is an acceptable substitute. Nathans, in a pinch. Ballpark only at such a venue; but, it can be tasty.

Now the fun.

Other than Chicago style condiments: who’s going to put a sport pepper, whatever that is, iridescent relish AND a dill pickle on what is otherwise a thing of beauty?

I started out with the love of my life in Detroit. There we had Coney Islands. Not of the New York variety. Of the Americanized Greek variety. When I was a teenager, my father managed a grocery store. On Saturday nights after close, we mopped the floors, which took about three hours. About Midnight, we drove from Dearborn to Downtown Detroit to the corner of Lafayette and, as I recall, Woodward. On a whim, I just Googled “Lafayette hot dog.” Here’s what I got. An article about the Lafayette and American, two Coneys next door to each other, run by two brothers back when, and now by their descendants.

We always went to the Lafayette rather than the American. I'm not sure why. This was forty years ago. If it was slow, they'd be standing at the doors of both places, telling you not to go to the other. If my memory serves me, the picture of the counter in the site linked above of the counter is indeed the Lafayette, it looks like the same one my Dad and I sat at. Read the link for a description of the ambiance and food, the author does a better job than I could. I'll add that I could never decide between a six ounce Coke which I had to nurse, or a twelve ounce orange which I didn't like as much, but got me through the two dogs, as the author in the link says, with onion, mustard and chili. The “loose” was pretty good too, onions and mustard.

That’s enough for now. To come in this maybe series: Real New York hot dogs from a cart. L.A., the land of the hot dog and the donut. Maybe to upset some people, why Chicagoans have no idea what they are doing, and Cincinnati is not far behind.

14 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

"First rule, no ketchup, unless you are under five years of age, and then only sparingly and you are doing your child no favor by such indulgence."

I am afraid that we're going to have to agree to disagree here. When it comes to hot dogs, the more condiments the better. Ketchup included.

Chili? Throw it on there. Kraut? you bet! Onions? I'll pay for it later, but bring it on. Cheese? Yes please.

Peanut butter? ... Okay, there are definite lines one does not go over. But ketchup is not it.

Hedy said...

I moved to Illinois from Michigan in the Fall of 1989. Shortly after, I ordered a hot dog. What I got was pile of salad - cucumber, pickle, tomato, peppers, onions - hiding a sad, scared little hot dog. If I want healthy, I'll order a salad. If I want a hot dog, I want a friggin' hot dog.

Miss Awesome said...

You love hot dogs like I love macaroni and cheese.

SonjaB said...

I'm a bad person. I love ketchup on my hot dogs. I fully believe though that the best hot dogs come from the ballpark or stadium.

I'm also a big fan of the Skyline chilli dogs. Little mini dogs with Skyline and cheese on them.

No Mustard, blech

fermicat said...

I like mine with mustard and onion. Chili is also welcome, as is kraut. Hot dogs from The Varsity are darn near perfect. We're on the same wavelength regarding ketchup. It has no place on a hot dog.

Keith said...

Being from Milwaukee, I'll take a brat with kraut, onions and mustard any day over a hot dog!

Dave said...

Well folks, we have a defender of Cinci, anyone stepping up to the plate for Chicago?

Sausage, Milwaukee and otherwise deserves its own post. What does Homer say? "Mmmmh," sausage, from "a wonderful, magical animal."

dr sardonicus said...

No ketchup. I'll have mustard, the spicy brown kind.

A Chicago dog is, well, a Chicago dog. They're an acquired taste, and also one reason native Chicagoans swear their town is the greatest place on earth.

Like Fermicat says, y'all have a fine hot dog joint right there in Atlanta.

Dave said...

Doc, Fermi, I have a confession to make, I'm not a Varsity fan. The hot dogs are edible, a true step up from those you see rolling and rolling and rolling on the metal turning thingys at convenience stores; though, a fried peach pie is a delicacy to be appreciated.

Hedy said...

I can't defend the Chicago dog. Who the hell puts cucumber on a hot dog? My favorite from-the-store dog? Hebrew Nationals. They're just the best.

Jim Donahue said...

Ketchup is essential. Essential!

Dave said...

It's alright Jim, you have other qualities.

fermicat said...

Dave - I think you have to grow up eating Varsity food in order to truly love it.

Kathleen said...

I totally agree with you re: ketchup on hot dogs. Mustard and onions - that's it.

Yes, Lafayette Coney Island is the one you remember. That's one thing people from Detroit miss when they move elsewhere - the coney island on every street corner where you can get breakfast all day long.