Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008

No resolutions, but some hopes:

That President Bush is right about what we are doing in the Middle East, because like it or not, we are stuck doing it for the near and mid term future.

That Britney, Lindsay, Paris, Nicole, Jamie, et al. don’t continue on their path to becoming Anna Nicole.

That Paul Johnson (new Georgia Tech coach) can coach in the big time.

That Arthur Blank (Home Depot retiree and owner of the Atlanta Falcons) develops mind reading abilities so as to have no further Vick, Petrino, Parcells imbroglios.

That Led Zepplin does a few more concerts, maybe one down here.

That college sports return to being college sports (I know, never was, never will be).

That the exit from Iraq (whenever it is discovered) is not found to lead into Iran.

That Hilary Clinton is not nominated, and if nominated, is not elected (I’m not thrilled with any of her opponents, but I flat don’t like her and don’t trust her).

That the Federal Government give up its fascination with ethanol as it makes no economic or energy conservation sense.

That government, at all levels, end its fascination with legislating and regulating morality.

That, in ascending order of probability: I get an eagle, a hole in one or shoot a par round of golf.

That I write maybe a bit less in 2008 (323 posts in '07), but perhaps a bit better.

7 comments:

Jeni said...

You probably have a much, much better chance at the eagle, birdie, hole-in-one than the rest of us all have pertaining to your wish the government stop trying to regulate morality! If they want to do that, then the first thing they should do is to regulate their OWN morals before trying to tell the rest of us what ours should be. Or are ethics and morals that different? I think they are pretty intertwined there and how unethical politicians can expect to impose morals on everyone else is totally beyond my level of comprehension -but then, so are many other things too! As to the posting - Dave, write more, not less! There's not a doggone thing wrong with the caliber of your writing -just not enough of it, overall.

fermicat said...

Happy New Year, dave!

I hope at least some of your wishes come true. Especially the one about Paul Johnson! And your golf stuff. The others have a much lower probability of success, I'm afraid.

dr sardonicus said...

Happy New Year, Dave. Too bad you don't like and/or trust our probable next President. Not that I'm thrilled with her, either, but if she gets the nomination I'd vote for her over any Republican.

Dave said...

One good thing about the government's attempts to legislate morality, they are pretty much ineffective. As to the next President, I'm pretty much guaranteed to vote for him or her; I' almost sure to vote for whomever is running as a Libertarian.

Dave said...

I wish I could edit my own comments. Please insert the word not before vote in my comment. Thank you very much.

fermicat said...

The typo would have been funnier if you had guaranteed you would be voting for whomever is running as a librarian.

The Exception said...

I hope that your thoughts on not going into Iran hold true. That is one war we don't want to wage!

The way it looks now - I will be voting that vote with you!