Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Day of ...

non-golf. This week has been cold here in the mid-South. Early morning temperatures have dipped as low as fifteen in the Metro Atlanta area. We started moving back up yesterday when the high was in the Forties.

Right now it is fifty-five.

I had a tee time this morning at 11:20 a.m. I got to the course at about 10:30 a.m., at which time I was told that there was not a “frost delay” but a frozen green delay. Maybe they would open the course at noonish. I hit a bucket of balls, after which I was mildly warm under a thick shirt and a wind jacket. No start. So I hung out and talked to other demented people that planned to play golf.

The guys that were in my foursome were there; and, they are more demented than I am. At about 12:15 p.m. I gave it up and went to the store for some needed shopping. I’m now home and am ignoring some needed cleaning. My friends are probably finishing up their round.

The low tonight is only supposed to dip to forty. My bet is that there won’t be any freeze or frost and I will be quite happy at 11:10 a.m. tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, “Live Free and Die Hard,” starring the aging Bruce Willis, is a stupid but engaging movie. Give it a shot. If you aren’t into shoot ‘em ups, try ”Rabbit-proof Fence” from Australia.

7 comments:

Keith said...

I often wondered why people play golf. I've tried. I just can't do it. I spend more time looking for my ball than anything else.

Your story is funny. I always hear guys around here talking about golf. They do golf a lot here in Phoenix. This time of year it is hard to find a tee time. The guys I don't get...are the ones that golf at 2 in the afternoon in July. It is usually a crisp 105 degrees by then. Go figure!

I'm off to watch the debates. Be well my friend.

Anonymous said...

Stupid but engaging. Thats on the same par as my often heard "I find her Frightening yet strangely arousing".
Keith, I think Dave will agree with me, that Golf in Arizona at 105 degrees is far more comfortable than golf at 90 degrees in Ga.

fermicat said...

It did seem colder than the thermometer read today, but "frozen greens"? Really? I have frozen water in the bin on my carport that I use to collect gray water, but that is from the consecutive nights in the 20s.

"Tomorrow is another day." You'll be on the greens again soon enough. One of the many things I like about Atlanta and the deep south is that cold snaps never last for very long.

The Exception said...

Dave, I feel so very sorry for you - we have been enjoying tropical weather here in VA with highs nearing 32! ;)

Keith, I never understood that about golfing in Phoenix or Tucson either - especially in August when it actually gets a bit humid.

Then I moved to Nebraska where the humidity and temperature in August are unbelievable... and yet the people insist on golfing. Give me a course in PHX or TUC in August anytime!

Dave said...

I'm constantly fascinated by where comments go.

To return to the post first, Atlanta is on an uptick on temperature. It hit seventy today. When I started it was just under fifty.

I have a love/hate relationship with the game of golf. Front nine was almost amazing, ending up OK. Back nine, is a matter we will not discuss, ending the round with an acceptable score.

As to Arizona, Nebraska, Virginia and Rick's strangely arousing:

Where ever you are, you need to start your day at the right time. In the case of VA this time of year for golf, there is no right time. And, Exception and Keith, I have to agree with Rick, as we were there at the same time, August at noon in the Southwest, at a bit over a hundred, isn't that bad. Humidity will hurt you.

Finally, Fermi, the water coolers on the course today were still frozen this morning.

Hedy said...

Dave! It was 60 degrees in Chicago today! Our windows were open all day, our snow disappeared, and I swear I heard a motorcycle. And I agree on Live Free or Die Hard - it was ridiculously entertaining.

Life Hiker said...

Today, January 8th, it was 67 degrees in Rochester, NY, which beat the all-time January temp record by 10 degrees!

The bad news is that those of us who are nervous about global warming see a vision of this heat wave moving northwest and melting the Greenland glaciers.

The good news is that we played golf today on a course that only a few days ago had a foot of snow on it. Walked out, took a couple of jerky swings to warm up, and started out birdie-par. Hadn't held a stick for two months, so I guess practice isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Maybe a melted glacier isn't such a big price to pay for a few extra days of golf. You got to keep your priorities in order!