Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Never, Ever Talk To A Reporter

I have, twice in my life.

The first time was a long time ago when I was living in Toledo, Ohio. The area had been hit with an ice/sleet/snow storm and a reporter for The Toledo Blade was doing a story about the insurance aspect of the event. At the time, I was an insurance adjuster. The receptionist put the “cold call” from the reporter through to me. We talked at some length, I was pleased with the attention.

A day or so later the story came out. I was quoted, more an inaccurate paraphrase than a quote, and a bit out of context. The story had a slant that was not at all apparent during my “chat” with the reporter. It wasn’t a disaster; but, I learned.

Still a long time ago while living in Miami and going to law school, I was called by a Miami Herald reporter. You may have heard of him, Joel Achenbach. He now writes for The Washington Post. Back then he was a “feature” reporter and did a lot of stuff for the Herald’s Sunday Magazine.

A friend had come across his radar and called me saying that Achenbach was doing an article about him and wanted to interview some of his friends. I was reluctant; but, I agreed to talk to him.

At somewhat more length than set out above, I told him about the Toledo deal and was clear that I didn’t trust reporters in general. He understood, he said. He still wanted to talk with me and asked me what I needed to make that happen. We settled on an agreement that he could only mention me and/or quote me if I agreed to what he wrote with respect to my part of the article. We talked then at some length, several times.

He called me a few weeks later and read me what he proposed would go in the piece. It was a direct quote, it fit with the context and I approved.

I got a bit of notoriety for a few days at school as people who had read the article nodded, smiled and commented.

You thought I’d never get to the point of the post, admit it.

The current issue of The New Yorker has an article by Jeffrey Toobin on the infamous, at least around these parts, Brian Nichols trial. Back in 2003, Nichols is accused of injuring a sheriff’s deputy, shooting and killing a judge and a court reporter, shooting and killing another sheriff’s deputy and a DEA agent that he happened upon and finally with kidnapping a woman who after a bit of time convinced him to give himself up.

Here in Georgia we have a death penalty statute and a “life in prison” statute for murder. The latter allows parole. We don’t have an option of “live without parole.” Well, Nichols’ crime is pretty heinous, he was charged with fifty some separate crimes and the Fulton County Prosecutor wants him to be executed.

Your or my opinion about the death penalty aside, getting to it is a very, very expensive proposition these days, given recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions.

The Fulton County prosecutor has listed over four hundred potential witness and turned over more than 40,000 pages of documents. There are five lawyers working on the case for the County. The State’s public defender office assigned Nichols four lawyers. One of the lawyers is working for free and the top guy is working for $175 an hour. There has been loud and widespread outrage that the defense has cost the state upwards to $2 million so far, though the prosecution has probably spent about the same. Currently the case is on hold because the defender’s office is out of money and the Legislature hasn’t approved anymore. The Speaker of the House has called for the trial judge’s impeachment (judges don’t get impeached down here, they are removed only by the State Supreme Court, but why should that prevent a state official from pandering to public opinion) and the prosecutor filed a motion to force the Judge’s recusal. The Judge denied the motion and then allowed the Prosecutor to file an appeal directly to the State Supreme Court. So as I said, the case is on hold.

OK, finally the point. The New Yorker did an article about all of this and more which is currently on it’s website. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today reported that the Judge was quoted as saying something along the lines of “everyone knows he did it.” I read the New Yorker piece, there’s more of the same and worse. There’s a controversy as to whether the reporter had the Judge’s permission to quote him. The Judge said he talked to him “on background.” The reporter says no way, it was all on the record.

The end result is going to be the Judge’s removal from the case: you are allowed to think things like he said, you just can’t say them in public if you are the judge. So, we’ll spend a few more million bucks in our attempt to fry Nichols (actually lethally inject him once we get the approval on the new formula from the Supremes).

Don’t talk to reporters, never, ever.

8 comments:

fermicat said...

The wisdom of a sitting judge discussing a current case with the media aside, it is a true statement that "everybody knows he did it." He committed the crime in front of a courtroom full of witnesses.

I couldn't understand why we were spending all the resources to go for the death penalty, but you answered that for me - thanks. I did not know that Georgia doesn't have a life without parole option for sentencing. Now it makes a little more sense. But only a little. It seems like an awful lot of money, time and resources are being spent on this one case. Other cases are no doubt suffering as a result. Is it worth it?

Dave said...

You're right Fermi, he did do it;but, when we are going to kill someone as retribution, we make it hard to do, I think rightly.

On the flip side of the cost equation, Florida and another state that escapes me, budget $15,000 and $25,000 for a death penalty defense. Whether lawyers are the scum of the earth or not, you can't get a lawyer that has any ability at all do do all the work necessary to present an adequate defense for that money. Indeed, if a lawyer with ability did such a defense for a normal, not exhorbitant fee, and quite when his or her hourly rate exceeded the cap, he or she would be commiting malpractice.

As to your final point, I don't think it's worth it. Enact a life without parole statute, allow appropriate appeals and then let killers join Manson, Kyzinski (sp?), the Oklahoma guy and Rudolph in our various supermax prisons.

Kathleen said...

Why on earth doesn't GA have a life w/o parole option? That's stupid.

Words to live by, however - Never, Ever Talk to a Reporter.

We had a high profile case here last year (happened last year and was tried last year). Anyway, everybody knew he was guilty, too, and the county made sure he had TWO HOTSHOT attorneys to make sure there couldn't be an appeal on lawyer incompetency. At first I was pissed that he got two well-known good attorneys when most defendants get whomever, but it made sense in this case, because this guy needed to go to jail forever.

Keith said...

Excellent post Dave. I deal with reporters all the time in my job. Weather is a news story in Phoenix. I talk to newspaper reporters, radio reporters and TV new reporters.

I am required to do these. I usually don't mind doing it, and since I do it often, I know which reporters are good and which ones are schmucks. I've been misquoted before and it pisses me off when I am.

Only once have I called a reporter back after reading the article because what he put in the paper was almost totally opposite of what I told him. And they pay him for that crap!

Being interviewed often, I can say this. The "live on the air" interviews are the worst, because sometimes they will try to bait you into their "spin" that they want to give on the story. I usually go over the topics with the interviewer so I know we're both clear on what questions will be asked before going live.

Anonymous said...

The problem is not that he talked to a reporter.

The problem is that, before the trial ever started, he knew he was going to find the defendent guilty and then kill him.

Jim Donahue said...

My brother-in-law had a total BS quote inserted in his mouth by Newsday once. Fortunately, it wasn't over anything important--though it did make him look rather flakey.

SonjaB said...

1. The judge should never have made that comment, even in background. His job is to be impartial and obviously he is not.

2. As you know I a proponent of the the death penalty. If there is ever a crime that needs to have the death penalty as a sentence it is the purposeful killing of a law enforcement officer. (and yes I may be a bit biased) There will always be that person who feels that it is OK to kill anyone, even a cop, we call them sociopaths. I believe though, that if that crime alone goes unpunished then maybe your average criminal may believe that's its OK for them too.

3. I bet the citizens who are complaining about the amount of money spent on Nichol's defense would be more than happy to have their "free" lawyer get that much money if their butts were on the line.

As far as reportes are concerned, yea you can't trust most of them. I had one do a ride along with me when I was a cop. He did a good job with the story. It was domestic violence investigation. He and I later had some differences of opinion when a co-worker of mine suicided, but he was nice enough and professional enough to discuss those differences with me, off the record, and we agreed to disagree.

Sudiegirl said...

I assume you're not talking about Diana Ross and the...when you mention the "Supremes".