Monday, January 28, 2008

Tapping Keys

Warning, this post is a bit weird.

So here it is. There are some words that I don’t like to type. The tapping just doesn’t flow. As an example, I just logged into a blog to leave a comment and had to type my email address, dave@ratherthanworking.com to authenticate me, or whatever it does. (The address isn’t a big secret, it’s in the profile in the sidebar. If you sell it to a Nigerian or a siding contractor or a Nigerian siding contractor, I swear I will find you from the grave.)

Anyway, I don’t like doing numbers. Never liked doing the number keys. You have to reach; and, though I’ve been typing for decades now, I’m just never sure just which of those keys is the 7 or the 6 (as an example when I touch typed the 7 the first time it was a 9. The second 7 was an 8. My fingers just don’t have reach memory, or something. It is physically impossible for me to find the Del key without looking. Same with the forward and reverse bracket keys ([ and ]).

It’s worse with the symbols. Just where in hell is the $? Damn, I got it right on the first try.

So, with the URL, we have the @ problem, though I’m getting better since I type it a lot (thanks or no thanks to Blogger). Then, for no reason that I can figure out, my fingers just don’t like to type ratherthanworking.com. I always pause before the w and then before the o.

Also, “the” bugs me. If I’m zooming along it often becomes t-e-h, which Word will not allow me to type without the dashes: one of the good things among the very many bad things about the newer versions of Word.

And I hate word verification on Blogger. Some are OK. I look and I can sometimes actually differentiate between the u and the v and the w. But Blogger has a mean streak. Its I’s and J’s and L’s, especially when next to each other, are indistinct. Bastards.

Well, that’s it. I just wanted to tell you that. There are other examples that aren’t coming to mind just now. Maybe I’ll add a comment or two.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

LOL! I thought it was just me who had trouble with the blogger word verifications. I swear I type it exactly correctly, but I'm informed that I did not.

I learned my numbers a hundred years ago when I typed up an index for someone. I'm also pretty good with the symbols. I'm excellent with the delete key, as I type "teh" all the freaking time, too.

SonjaB said...

Numbers are one of the things I hate about my laptop. I really love the number keypad that husband's PC keyboard has.

I too type teh and my other is fo and si instead of of and is.

fermicat said...

I have a low success rate with Blogger word verifications. Drives me CRAZY.

But no trouble typing in general -- Mom pressured me into taking typing in high school. It turned out to be one of the handier classes in terms of real world usage. She was probably thinking that I could fall back on a secretary job if college didn't work out, but who knew at the time that computers would be so all-fired important, in both work and personal lives. I am grateful that I can type reasonably quickly.

I make the same kind of errors you describe, especially from going too fast. Lots of times I accidentally capitalize the first two letters of a sentence (at least Word fixes that automatically). I'm also slow with numbers if I don't have a keypad.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I tend to drop stray, random q's here and there. Like everything I write has an odd Arabic influence or something.

I have also noticed that one of my hands is faster than the other, but which hand that is changes from day to day. So sometimes all the letters from the left side of the keyboard are on the page before the first from the right. Or vice versa.

Makes me sound like a dyslexic psychotic.

molly gras said...

Dave, don't listen to Pos ...

he actually is a dyslexic psychotic.

[but I love him anyway ;)]