Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm Drawing a Line Here

I’ve not read this article at NYTimes.com; but, I did look at the pictures below the lead. It seems that us men are wearing shorts to work. I on occasion wear shorts to work, on a rare occasion. Two of the lawyers in the office do it much more often than I do. When we wear them, we obviously aren’t going to court. We aren’t meeting clients. They’re worn on a very hot Atlanta day when we are lounging in our offices. They are the same shorts and shirts we wear on weekends.

A couple of years back I flew to Destin, Florida for the day to attend a meeting. The lawyer for the entity involved was wearing khaki shorts and a golf shirt. A bit odd, but it was way hot; and, Destin's a beach town.

Two of the three pictures leading the article show guys in short “suits”: one has a jacket with matching little shorts. The other goes for the casual blazer over white little shorts. Really dumb looking as seen by my now older eyes. They remind me of my middle brother and me in our little kid suits with shorts in a picture taken on an Easter Sunday many, many years ago.

I’m going to read the article now. If I change my opinion in any way, I’ll give you an update. Don’t count on it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

None of the execs wear suits here, nor have I even seen that getup except those late night informercials that sell property.

Must be a lawyer thing:-)

Debo Blue

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I work in a casual environment. I wear shorts everynight to work. I try to color coordinate them with my holster and shoes though.

SonjaB said...

Wow those pictures are so bad.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I have the kind of job where, as long as I'm not meeting with clients, I can wear whatever the hell I want. Today it's a grey roller hockey t-shirt and jeans. Some days it's shorts. Whatever.

I wouldn't wear those shorts suits if you threatened to club me to death with a baby seal if I didn't.

Sonja's Mom said...

It's the shoes. The guy in the loafers is not bad but that first guy looks like Pee Wee Herman and that's just wrong.

Minnesotablue said...

I remember when boys could hardly wait to wear long pants!

The Curmudgeon said...

Not surprised that there's no update.

Jeni said...

Gotta agree with Sonia's Mom about the first guy -on the left as you look at the picture -looks enough like PeeWee Herman to me that maybe it is him and he's taken up a new form of employment. The other two don't look bad, although the jacket thing with shorts, if this is being worn as a "cooler" form of clothing, sort of defeats the purpose then doesn't it? Frankly, I don't see a darned thing wrong at all with shorts -or jeans -in the workplace, as long as they are clean and not of the variety with holes strategically placed (for effect) and all raggedy, etc -you know, the kind that you have to pay extra mega-bucks for the shabby-chic look I guess!

fermicat said...

Those "business shorts" look ridiculous. You'd get laughed out of the office.