Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Watershed is Too Strong a Word

Whose physical address do you know? We can take it further. Do you know any phone numbers, Email addresses?

As a kid, I lived at 17972 Colgate. The phone number was Logan, hell, I’ve forgotten. (Hah! 2-1284. This is an edit – see below.)

I used to know a lot of addresses, phone numbers, even fax numbers.

I think every non-physical contact I have with another human is enabled by a chip. There’s a chip in my office computer, my laptop, my fancy new Google phone, my new internet home phone. The Google phone keeps all the addresses in the “cloud.”

I scroll, type a letter or two or three, etc. and then you and I talk or write back and forth.

I don’t ‘write” anymore. My handwriting has become abysmal. Do you find yourself to be impatient as you are scrawling letters on a page?

It’s time to think about Christmas, or Hanukah if you will. I stopped sending cards years ago, opting to send an “Ecard.” I’ve always felt a bit guilty about it.

My angst, too strong a word, was triggered again a couple of days ago when I got a real live paper invitation to my niece’s graduation. I would have replied by Email; but, transmitting green stuff, without her bank info for a wire transfer, seemed a bit difficult.

I don’t really think we have lost too, too much by our movement to electrons. Our communications are probably a bit less considered, but a bit more often.

I’ve occasionally thought that this blog would be of better quality if I did it the old fashioned way – write it out on a piece of paper, thinking before putting each word to paper because if I made a mistake or had a poor thought, I’d have to start over again.

I won’t go back, I don’t have the time or the inclination; but, I’m pretty sure I think differently than I did years ago as a direct result of the way I communicate. As I’ve been tapping this out, I’ve wandered back through the text a few times, changing something each time.

In the old days I said less with more thought before I said it. Better?

4 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Occasionally you see people looking at the way things are, the way things used to be, and bemoaning the loss of old ways...

And the concept of "better" doesn't quite capture it. It is different for sure, and it is better in some ways and worse in others.

I think that we are conditioning ourselves to be less reliant on our own faculties - memory, research, etc - and more reliant on technology for that type of stuff. Is that better or worse? It certainly flattens the bell curve a bit, but the extremely smart and the extremely dumb aren't going to change as a result.

What gets me is that we have all these time savers and wonderful technology and all we do it whine about it...

http://useragent.metapede.com/2008/12/04/everything-is-amazing-nobodys-happy/

Unknown said...

I agree, it is not better or worse, but different. I stay in touch with a lot more people than I used to because it is so easy to dash off an email or text that they can answer at their convenience.

I simply could not do any of my work as effectively without the technology because it permits me to do so much more than I used to do. I no longer have to be, literally, sitting at my desk for my customers and co-workers to find me.

I do find that I am much more likely to be inarticulate or to "say" something in the heat of the moment that I regret later. It was still the truth, I just didn't have my "filter" turned on.

Anonymous said...

I journal daily in a little red leather binder. Putting pen to paper soothes and comforts me so much more than typing.

I email a lot but I am a texting fiend and that has caused me to slow down on emailing because I'm constantly typing shortcuts rather than real words "ty", "cu", "ur". After a polite complaint from my boss to stop it I now edit my professional emails.

Like the rest of us, I don't remember phone numbers or email addresses or real addresses. But as you and I know, emails or texts, without really knowing the person can easily cause confusion and hate mail. Remember the "high cotton" episode?

And I still love to send and receive paper Christmas cards Dave. Thanks for setting clear expectations to expect to receive another Christmas email from you (wink).

Debo Blue

fermicat said...

Better? Mixed opinion about that. But definitely easier.

And thanks for reminding me that I haven't done a thing about Christmas cards yet. *sigh*