Monday, June 11, 2007

Paris Hilton And The Law

Paris "announced" (the quotes are there because: have you ever heard her talk? Compare her style to the press release. She has a ghost writer.) that she would not appeal the Judge's order returning her to jail.

Without knowing California law on the issue, in Georgia, her lawyers would have a good case for springing her again.

Here a judge does not have the jurisdiction to mandate where or how long a prisoner serves time. Those decisions are made by jail or prison authorities. In a case like Hilton's, the County Sheriff makes the call on both matters.

I don't have much sympathy for Paris; but, she appears to me to have been the unwitting pawn in a turf war between the Judge and the Sheriff.

2 comments:

fermicat said...

I've been trying to avoid reading about this in the news, but I do recall seeing that there was something specific in her sentencing that ruled out "house arrest". Would that make a difference, do you think?

I'm optimistically looking forward to having at least one or two days out of her 45-day jail time when she is not one of the 'top stories'. What are the odds?

Dave said...

Low I'd say Fermi. I just saw that as I type that Al Sharpton is meeting with the LA Sheriff to discuss the racist aspects of the whole Paris situtation. Whether or not the Sheriff had the authority to do what he did or not, he, in my opinion, is now officially stupid. Meeting with the Rev.? Dumb guy.

As to your question, in Georgia, a judge can't do any more than say you are sentenced for "x" years or months. What happens after that is up to the incarcerator.