Tuesday, January 01, 2008

GPS In An Insular Life

I got a portable GPS thingy for Christmas.

- It’s pretty accurate. I’ve set a course and purposely gotten off the expressway before it told me to do so. Within a hundred feet or so, the voice said “recalculating route” followed by “travel 1.2 miles” on the access road I’d exited on to the next exit, which is where it planned me to exit the expressway. Except, I always get off at that exit because there is a short cut that avoids two major intersections. When I turned onto the short cut it said “recalculating route” (I think with some annoyance) and gave me new, and accurate, directions coming from the back way.

- Its database is at least a year old because the Captain D’s in my neighborhood which is a “Point of Interest” is now a used car lot, and has been for about a year.

- It has an annoying feature that wants me to mark every “speed camera” I come across. It’s made by Mio, which I think is a British company. I gather they must use more cameras than lasers there, though “marking” the location of speed traps for either involves the same process. I’ve not marked any because I don’t speed (note that speed is a relative term, if you drive 55 mph on an Atlanta expressway you will die or cause others to die); and, even if I did, the Metro Atlanta police departments don’t much care, except at places that I already know about; and, again, I’m not “speeding” anyway.

- Though it uses GPS, it gives locations as latitude and longitude. I thought GPS numbering was different?

- I don’t need a GPS because I almost never go anywhere I’ve not been to before.

- But, it’s kind of fun if I leave it on, the little screen shows me where I am if by chance I don’t want to look out the windshield.

So much for the less quantity, more quality semi-pledge in the previous post.

5 comments:

That girl said...

"I never go anywhere that I haven't been to before" is the funniest thing you've said in a long time.

You always surprise me Dave.

By the way, those GPS thingys are enviable. I'd like one. I hate not knowing where I'm going. Or in fact, I hate going to new places for fear of not knowing where I'm going.

Happy New Year.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Can't live without my Garmin. And I wish it showed me Lat and Lon, but it doesn't.

Happy new year. Stop by later today if you want to see some "quantity not quality".

Dave said...

Michelle, I had to go back and look at the post, as I thought that I'd miswritten. I actually had written it as you quoted for the humor and then changed it to add almost. Happy New Year.

Pos, I suppose the thingy will come in handy someday. I had it on for company today. I figured out another drawback, the voice isn't loud enough to hear over the radio.

That girl said...

By the way... I've been in hiding for quite some time, and if you want, I think it's safe to post my display name on your side bar.

(since you only have one blog that beginns with the letter 'T', I figure you may as well...lol)

And thank you.

The Exception said...

Dave, it sounds like an excellent excuse to travel to places that you have never been before... you know, just to make sure it works on road trips!

Happy 2008!