Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snowpourri

Well the Blizzard of ’08 appears to have passed. Here inside the Perimeter (I-285) we got maybe a bit over an inch of snow – the grass is covered, that’s it. The next issue is whether the streets will stay wet as the temperature drops so there’s ice over night. If that happens, it won’t be a nice Sunday.

As to the “Blizzard,” you people up north, don’t laugh. OK, laugh. Channel 2 “Action News” had commercial-free coverage of the stormette by its “Extreme Weather Team” this afternoon. There were two anchors, two weather guys and six or seven field reporters. The latter all were staked out next to roads, bundled up in parkas, wool caps and scarves. It was 32 degrees at the time. The recently late Sir Edmund Hillary was not as warmly dressed when he ascended Everest. They pointed out the snow flakes falling, slush, actual snow accumulation, icicles on the bumper of their SUV and other wonders. One filmed a guy using an ice scraper to get enough snow off the hood of his car to make a snowball.

We make the most of winter here when we get it. This morning's AJC had instructions for making a snowman.

Predictably, the Kroger was jammed this afternoon. The eight buck a bundle pallet of firewood (“genuine hardwood”) was going fast.

I am comfy. The crock pot is simmering chili and the aroma is just getting going. LoneStar Radio is coming over the speakers. (If you like Rock, Blues, Texas Country, try it. Hardly ever a bad song and almost no commercials. Google KZPS-FM. It’s based in Dallas. Pretty much the only Clear Channel station I’ve heard that I like.)

Only one down note: Netflix did not deliver the next DVD today. I’m stuck with what’s on TiVo, a Netflix streaming moving (often a crap shoot) or as a last resort, live TV.

Enjoy your weekend.

12 comments:

fermicat said...

It was pandelirium! (As Jeff Foxworthy would say.) Any kind of snowfall in An Event down here.

We enjoyed watching the snow fall from the warm comfort of our house, just outside the Perimeter, and drank mimosas to celebrate. I was thankful to be able to stay at home and enjoy it.

That girl said...

I am with you on the "extreme weather" front. I hate the snow. No, correction. I like snow. but the kind I can visit. "Ohhh, how pretty...let's go home".

The aroma of chilli...hmmm you seem to be quite the cook. We're having honey garlic chicken. Not quite as comfy as chilli but still good.

That girl said...

Hey I just noticed the picture of you playing golf. Is that new??? Or am I really that that aloof?

Hedy said...

Greetings from the Arctic North, better known as Chicago. The local talking heads have been reporting on our "extreme weather" for two days now. It's cold here. It's Chicago. It's January. And this is news.

Dave said...

The storm is now somewhere up on the Eastern Seaboard. We have a cold front. The low today was seventeen; but, we have blue skies. Highs this week will be in the forties, moving to fifty by the weekend: Golf! Typical Atlanta winter.

The picture is new, I put it in Friday while bored. Doesn't have quite the panache as the graphic at your place Michelle. I made an attempt to pixilate it and make it a bit arty and failed.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Back around December 1990 or so, a friend of mine from Defense Language Institute was getting married in San Antonio, TX. For whatever reason, I was best man. The night of the wedding, an inch of snow fell. And the entire city shut down.

The wedding went on as planned, but most of the guests were no-shows, and we had to disobey the official order to not go out unless it was an absolute emergency that was declared citywide.

Being from the northeast, I was laughing, as I used to deliver pizzas in 28" snowfalls, and I wasn't used to "those who don't know how to drive in snow."

But they don't have snowplows there. Or salt trucks. Or any of the other things we have in abundance here in the land of the nasty snows.

So, enjoy your snow as long as it lasts. And someday head up here for some skiing or snowboarding.

Dave said...

Blogger ate my comment on my blog.

Hey Pos,

I grew up in Michigan and have lived in Nebraska, Minnesota and Ohio. I only became sane as an adult and moved south. I'm as far north as I'm going, except under duress.

Even as a kid I never appreciated winter. It drove me indoors and kept me there.

Oh, I love San Antonio. A beautiful area of the country.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

People live in Nebraska?

(stifles a chuckle)

Next you'll be telling me that people live in Kansas too.

SonjaB said...

We didn't get snow, but it is currently 67 degrees. We had to turn the heat on.

Brrrrrr

Debo Blue said...

I had to go back to see the picture Girl was talking about.

I had totally missed it, so anxious to get to your content I suppose.

We had cold weather here too, only it's because our heater went out Saturday night. Ain't that just grand?

Ripple said...

Yeah...winter...liked the sarcasm there. Always a good read, Dave.

Kathleen said...

Your comment about Sir Edmund not being dressed as warmly when he climbed Everest cracked me up.

I've been bundling myself this week, but the windchill's been -6 and thereabouts. I'm looking forward to tomorrow - it's going to be 30! Woohoo!!! Shorts weather.