Friday, January 04, 2008

Random Iowa and New Hampshire Thoughts

I’d love to have heard what Senator Clinton had to say privately about the results.

How come ABC won’t let Ron Paul participate in the debate on Saturday? He didn’t get ten percent of the vote in one caucus and he’s an also-ran?

Is there any difference between Clinton and Obama other than color, sex, age and detestability factor? I just read that since Obama has been in the Senate, out of something like seventy votes, they have differed once. (An aside, he’s been there for a while now, only seventy votes? Maybe that’s a good thing.) Both want to spend other people’s money on other people. Most of what they promise, or hope for, in Obama’s case, isn’t going to happen. Neither has any real executive or international experience.

Is there any real difference between Romney/McCain/Giuliani and on the other hand, Huckabee? Yes, I think. The first three, McCain less than the other two, pander to whomever they think will get them ahead. Huckabee, like him or not, appears to believe what he says. As to all four so as to give equal short shrift, none has any real international experience (I don’t think being a Senator is great foreign affairs preparation, though McCain would have the edge). Executive background, I guess goes to Romney and Giuliani (but NYC and Mass are not exactly the federal government.) All of them talk a good game of not spending other peoples’ money. Bush did too. Still believe them?

My prediction for NH: Obama continues to do well but Clinton narrows the gap. Edwards falls back. Huckabee shifts to promoting the FairTax and soft peddles the religion thing giving him some decent support in quite independent, anti- government, anti-tax NH. McCain gets a bit of a boost from the same independent thinkers and Romney and Guiliani bring up the rear, but not too far back. Ron Paul could be a bit of a spoiler for McCain or Huckabee, siphoning the live free or die (or is it the don't tread on me) vote. This sets up a crap shoot for whatever Super Tuesday is called now.

No guarantees. No money back on bets made using this very well researched and thought out analysis (start to finish, just under twenty minutes).

6 comments:

Hedy said...

Love it, Dave. You nailed it. For me anyway. Mom says this is the first time in history that she just "doesn't feel like voting" because there's no one out there worthy of her support. I say it'll come down to a race between the Democrat she can't stand and the Republican she can barely tolerate in a race spoiled by a Libertarian whack-job she can't understand. :)

Anonymous said...

I only hope Bloomberg gets in before it's too late.

fermicat said...

The difference between Obama and H. Clinton? Attitude, tone, and expectations. I think there is a world of difference between the two. Obama excites me with possibilities and makes me hopeful for the future. Hillary fills me with a sense of dread and "oh here we go again." I think Obama is willing to transcend the bitter partisan debate while Hillary just wants to engage in it more forcefully. I would vote for Obama for president. If Hillary is on the ticket, I will vote otherwise, depending on who the R and L nominees are (or maybe an independent will step in), or if there are no satisfactory nominees, I will write in or not vote on that office.

Ryan said...

Hillary kicked off her campaign with a website. The website consisted of a video clip that had her sitting on a comfy couch telling everyone what she had on tap for the American public, interrupted by numerous comments of "I want to talk to you...".

I wrote her 4 letters to which she never replied - I'm guessing she didn't want to talk to me.

I've never been much of a Democrat anyways.

Dave said...

Ryan, welcome back. You made a common error when listen to a politician of any stripe, you misheard "to" as "with." We talk with each other. Parents, teachers, police, etc., talk to you.

Fermi, don't get me wrong, I like Obama. If the money was around to do what he wanted to do, I'd love it. I just don't see it happening.

Sudiegirl said...

I'm voting for Bullwinkle.

Just sayin'.