Monday, November 10, 2008

A Short Lesson: How to Strip Speaker Wire

When I moved, I installed the speakers for the home theater around the living room. It was a pain and I didn’t do it well.

Over the weekend, I pull apart a spliced wire to the left front speaker. So yesterday I sat for about a half hour and tried to re-strip the wire to provide a good contact. I don’t have a wire-stripping tool and am not going to buy one. So I played with a knife, scissors and some pliers.

I then had a moment of inspiration. How to strip the insulation off of speaker wire: burn it off with a lighter. It takes about thirty seconds per wire, including scraping off the residue. A bit smelly; but, it works.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Yankee ingenuity at its finest, huh Dave? Well, as long as it works for you, it works for me. And what's a little bit of stink anyway since you didn't have to shell out for some special tool you might never ever need again either. Oh -and how appropriate is this -my word verification here today -"Stingth"