Sunday, November 30, 2008

So Far, It's Magic

Regular readers know the new place has really bad cell reception. I think I’ve solved the problem – The Magic Jack.

You plug the device into a USB port on your computer, it auto-installs. You plug a phone into it. Register on the company’s website and get a phone number (you choose from a long list of area codes). You are now in business.

The device is $40 plus $20 a year for service. After that, domestic local and long distance calls are free. It’s portable, you can plug it into any computer and any phone and make calls. It supports 911, Caller ID, call forwarding and all the other typical stuff. It even sends you an Email when you get a voicemail. The call quality is good.

I still probably won’t answer the phone at night, but I now have one if needed.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

OOOOhhhh OoooohhhHoooHohohoOOo I do so want one Sam I am but it don't work on a satilite link up. Sigh.

Dave said...

Jenny, I thought that satellite was high speed enough?

dr sardonicus said...

I can get Magic Jack cheaper at the liquor store...

Jeni said...

When you say you "register at the website" for a number, does that mean you then get a brand new number or do you mean you simply register with the phone number you already have? Just wondering there but I'd hate to try to contact everyone and their brother of my family and friends away from here to give them a new phone number. Otherwise, I'm glad to hear from someone who actually got one of those things as I might just have to try to find out more about that.

Dave said...

As to transferring your current number, I don't know. The site is magicjack.com. There's a link to FAQ's, customer service. They can probably answer your question.

Jenn said...

you pick an area code and they give you a list of numbers to choose from. Like If I get it I have to pick Atlanta or Greenville SC for an area code.

Dave - nope. It has to be broad band, DSL, or highspeed dial up. No satilite. I even bought one and tired it just to see what happens and it was patchy at best (that was with vonage).

Unknown said...

How is it working out so far?

Dave said...

To all, and most recently Dale, it works just fine. The best part of the deal is the automatic Email I get if I get a call which I don't answer, whether the computer is on or off. Sound is still fine.