Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sometimes a Smile Doesn't Work

I did a post some time ago about smiling and its positive results. I mentioned holding open doors.

Hold a door and smile and you have a brief friend. Let someone into the line of traffic waiting for the light to change and you get a nod and a smile.

But not always. And, more often than not the person that ignores your smile, the door held open or the waiting for them to get out of the parking lot is a woman. I have only anecdotal, not empirical, proof for this. But it's true.

I stopped on the way home at QuikTrip convenience store, a venue made for the hold the door and smile gambit. As I approached a young guy waited a second or two at the door to hold it for me. I smiled, he smiled and I said thanks. During the exchange, I saw a lady approaching and waited three or four seconds to hold the door for her. She never made eye contact, never said a word, walking through the open door.

I got my beer, went to the counter, put it up to be scanned and handed the cashier the money. As that transaction was finishing, my lady of the door hit the counter immediately on my right, just as I was reaching to get my beer. She plopped her purse down on the counter directly in front of the beer, just as I was reaching for it. I withdrew my hand. She opened her purse (not looking to her left where I stood six inches from her side), opened it and took out a five dollar bill. As she got her change, I decide to let her know I was there. I reached for my beer, over her purse. Nothing, she took her change, faced the bills, placed them carefully in the purse, opened the little change pocket, put the coins in it, zipped it, zipped the greater purse, picked up the purse, all while my forearm was directly over her purse, and left the counter.

I picked up my beer and followed her to the door, she say five feet ahead of me. She opened the door and walked out. The door closing on my face.

I didn’t exist in her world. I don’t think a lot of people exist in any meaningful sense in her world. I wonder why that is.

8 comments:

Hedy said...

I am trying hard not to blame that sort of thing on rampant assholery. It ain't easy. But I do try to imagine what that person is thinking - maybe they're facing real hardship or tragedy - and they're consumed by it. Of course I wouldn't wish awful things on anyone, but when I encounter someone like your quiki mart lady, I really hope that's why.

Dave said...

I'm sure you're right, some of the time. But, there's a type of person out there....

Jenn said...

It is hard to say what is going on in her head! But I agree with you about the smile thing, lol, esp if they seem ill tempered... smile ... if for no reason than to agrivate that person.

Jeni said...

If someone holds a door for me -regardless of age or sex -I at least say "thank you" and usually though, I try to make a joke with them about if they are considering an alternate form of employment, put my name down as a reference for the doorman position. It's corny but I've never had it not give me a smile in return and usually a "You're welcome" response to my thank you. I think the lady in y our quiki-mart episode was just a colossal anti-social individual or someone who never had a lick of manners taught to her. Or, maybe she's some rich bitch with people holding doors and handling all her affairs all the time and just has no concept then of anyone except herself.
Peace Dave -and don't give up on being nice and smiling. Karma gets us all sooner or later.

Unknown said...

Likely explanations are that she is going through a hardship or is a sour bitch.

Either way, I feel sorry for her.

Wendy said...

I have the answer,
This is obviosuly a women with kids. Probably two or more, Probably two or more under the age of 8 or over the age of 13. Toddlers and teenagers. It could be even worse and she has both.

God love her she is lucky to be even upright and in society. Depending on her age to add to her distress, she could be menopausal. If in fact this is the case she is not responsible for her actions for the next 10 years. God love her she has become overtaken by life.

Dave said...

Sorry Wendy, she was sixtyish.

Wendy said...

Well, I tried I guess she is just an old B---h and never deserved your kindness to start with. Better luck on your next random act of kindness