Saturday, March 10, 2007

Iowa Isn't Flat

Driving from Up North in Michigan to Nebraska, Iowa is almost there. It’s the last state to go, but for the last state. Michigan of course, Indiana, the little bit of it, Illinois, and then Iowa.

This is it, your mind is thinking, it's the fourth of five states.

Leaving Illinois, as you drive along I-80, there are long rolling hills. As you pass over a rise, there’s a milo field on your left and a cornfield on your right. Move up onto the next rise, and you see corn on your left and milo on your right. Repeat as necessary.


I’ve seen Iowa during the day, but I remember it at night. Iowa at night has a lot of sky. A million miles of sky. Stars provide your light. On some trips, the moon helps out.

Radio comes in and out. Some clear channel station out of Omaha. But, the music isn’t right, so you tune. Then it fades and you tune.

Truck stops are visible miles and miles before you get to them. Towards the end of the trip, almost a mirage sort of glow off on the horizon, were there a horizon. Then you’re through the glow and past it. Stars and moon reclaim the sky.

You’ve been driving for a lot of hours when you cross the river into Nebraska. Fatigue fades and you look for landmarks through Omaha and the short hop to Lincoln before you turn north for the last twenty miles or so.

That was then, on trips to college. Now I fly where I go. I miss those trips.

1 comment:

fermicat said...

Sounds a lot like the time my college roommate and I drove from St. Louis to Omaha and back to deliver a saxophone to one of our band buddies. Omaha was one of the cleanest places I'd ever seen, and the country sights on the way were memorable.

Or the trip I made with my sister and brother-in-law to Joshua Tree National Monument on one of my visits to LA. Rocks and the Joshua trees and sunset in the desert heat.

Or that time I accompanied a boyfriend when he moved from Atlanta to Phoenix. Countryside gradually changing from forest to plains to deserts that went on and on. Did some sightseeing in the mountains around Tucson on that trip.

I usually fly these days as well. But there is nothing saying you can't take an afternoon off and have a road trip adventure in your rental car!