Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Living Up To The Blog's Title

When I logged into my Blogger account yesterday to publish a post, I noticed that it was my 99th. I then looked back to figure out how long I'd been doing this. Friday will be six months.

That's 16.66 posts a month and a post every 1.3 days. Those professional people have it easy.

I don't have anything significant to say on this important occasion, so I'm going to steal from a comment I left to a post on Ron Davison's site, http://rwrld.blogspot.com/. He did a post about bloggers not taking over the media world. I agree we won't. I said this:

I think bloggers are like softball league players. We've thought, read and written most of our lives. In school and then to make a living.

We've read the "home run" by a Sy Hersh in an article or in a novel by say, Thomas Russo. Can we write a home run? No, the Hershes and Russos nail it. But we enjoy the swing and take pride in a solid double.

Why softball and not Single A baseball? The latter is full of young'ns trying to make the Bigs. In the world of writing, they're working for a regional newspaper or at Fox or CNN, behind the cameras, waiting for the break through.

Though we think, read and write, we aren't trying to make it thinking, reading and writing. But we do like the occasional bow to the applause of the crowd, our fellow bloggers that read us. Same thing as a solid double on Sunday afternoon at the park in front of friends. Given the medium, the only thing we are missing is meeting for a beer at the neighborhood bar after the game.

So, today's softball game is over. Join me for a toast at the cyber-bar. Here's to you, those I read, who kindly read me. I'm looking forward to more of the same over the next six months.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

Congrats on the milestone. I enjoy it here, and keep coming back for more!

Anonymous said...

You know...screw the pundits. Congratulations anyway!!!

Hedy said...

Cheers and congratulations, Dave! And here's to our far-away friends, bound by a passion for this game.

Life Hiker said...

You are too modest. A world class home run might even be hit in a third class ball park where only a few fans get to enjoy it. You've done some nice work.

Kiyotoe said...

it's a sickness Dave. We all have it. Welcome to the club!