Sunday, May 20, 2007

Granpa Said He Ain't Goin'

“I aint’t goin to Califorinia

This is my dirt.”

Ma got him a dose of “soothin’ syrup.” She put it in a cup of coffee. He kept holl’r’n for “a mess of spare ribs. A MESS of spare ribs.”

I don’t do spell’n of dialogue well. My thought was to “live blog” the TiVo recording of the AMC showing of the “Grapes of Wrath.”

I’m typing this in Word. We’ll see what happens. The dialect is over though.


The Joads are loading on to the truck with a tipsy Granpa laying on the truck. Preacher just got invited to get on the truck.

Ma Joad is a kick ass woman.

Grandpa just died. “An old old man.” His folks buried him by the road with a note "cause they got no money to give him a funeral.”

Casey, the Preacher, gave him a eulogy. After saying some stuff he said “cover him up and get to it.”

That night, “I’d rather starve all at once” the guy coming back East said. He pointed out that everyone had the same handbill that said "800 pickers needed. " “You all have one. What’s that tell you? .... My boy died. ... The doctor said he died of 'heart failure.’” “Heart failure? His belly stuck out like a pig bladder”

“That guy tellin’ the truth?”

“His truth.”

”We only got fifteen cent loafs.” The cook told her to give it to them. “It’s day old any way.”

“Them candies a penny a piece?” Pa Joad said. Same woman. “Those’re two for a penny.” “ I’ll take two.” He gave it to the kids.

Pa and the kids left, the truck driver, “those ain’t no two for a penny.” “You just shut up.”

The Joads just got to the coast. There’s much more. Better yet, I’m going to read the novel again. You should too, and savor the words.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

The Grapes of Wrath is a life changing novel. At least it was for me. Honestly, that book changed the way I looked at everything. East of Eden is still my favorite Steinbeck novel, but both of these books are near the top of my all time favorites.

Dave said...

I don't know about life changing for me; but, it's in the top five novels I've ever read.

Ron Davison said...

I remember being so shocked that a book so lauded was so fabulous. I guess that by the time I was 20 I was already cynical about hype. Turns out that Steinbeck more than deserved it. I loved Grapes of Wrath.

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I never read it yet, but I guess I oughtta...

Anonymous said...

Oh.....The Grapes of Wrath.

When I was a junior in high school my English teacher , Mrs. Vanessa Newman, gave me the book to read and I was so moved by it.

The words just covered my senses and I actually felt them come alive one summer when we were picking peaches. My grandfather the preacher was wearing overalls and we children were throwing the peaches in the crates when he yelled at us for not being more gentle w/the peaches.

How I love that book! Thank you Dave for making me smile tonight.

Debo Blue